PDA

View Full Version : Luger holster question

badjuju_4
08-25-2011, 11:03 AM
All,

I recently purchased my first Luger, but still need a holster for it. Besides the standard hardshell, would one possibly fit in a softshell P-38 or Browning HP holster? I realize the magazine might not fit it's pouch, and there would be no pouch for the tool, I was mainly looking at the pistol itself.

I've posted this question on several different forums to get a variety of opinions and/or experiences. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

browningautorifle
08-25-2011, 11:11 AM
It might fit but not properly. The mags probably won't fit anything but the correct one. A Browning canvas holster might put extra wear on the finish of a Luger. And it won't fit properly. Luger holsters aren't that hard to get, just ask one of these guys on the WTB and see.

badjuju_4
08-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Jim,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been looking at Luger holsters, but was thinking of alternatives for a reason.

It seems to me that the buckle closure would be awfully inconvenient during a situation were a sidearm was needed to be drawn quickly. I'm thinking along the lines of what was available and what would work for a German landser at that time.

I know the hardshell was the standard issue, but soldiers of all nations and time periods do/will modify, add or delete gear out of necessity. :rolleyes:

Thanks again,
Bill

Johnny Peppers
08-25-2011, 01:01 PM
If you are looking for a holster to use your Luger as a carry pistol, I would suggest one of the nylon holsters from Uncle Mike. None of the military holsters were made for quick draw, and none of them will be cheap. Any of the military holsters will be too expensive to modify.

browningautorifle
08-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Agreed. They're cheap and serviceable. Maybe something for a medium frame revolver would fit best.

badjuju_4
08-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the input, but I guess I need to clarify. I'm looking at alternate holsters that could be seen being worn by a German soldier, 1939-1945. The holster is something to go with a Sr. NCO's field gear. I just was thinking of something different, given soldiers penchants for modifying their kit and the fact the Germans re-issued captured items from occupied countries.

I wouldn't use a 9mm for a carry pistol anyway. Personal preference: compact .45 with hollow points! :thup:

Thanks again,
Bill

gsimmons
08-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Maybe a shoulder holster like the one for the P-38? I don't know if they one for the Luger though. Are you looking for an original or repro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Peppers
08-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the input, but I guess I need to clarify. I'm looking at alternate holsters that could be seen being worn by a German soldier, 1939-1945. The holster is something to go with a Sr. NCO's field gear. I just was thinking of something different, given soldiers penchants for modifying their kit and the fact the Germans re-issued captured items from occupied countries.

I wouldn't use a 9mm for a carry pistol anyway. Personal preference: compact .45 with hollow points! :thup:

Thanks again,
Bill

The German soldier was much too disciplined to start modifying their equipment on a whim. The holster was issued to protect the pistol, and getting off a fast draw was not a consideration. Sounds like you need a P.38 if you want to use it's holster.
The Germans even went so far as to stamp the holsters with the pistol it was made for. A Luger holster won't be much more expensive than a P.38 holster, and it is correct.

badjuju_4
08-26-2011, 06:56 AM
The German soldier was much too disciplined to start modifying their equipment on a whim. The holster was issued to protect the pistol, and getting off a fast draw was not a consideration. Sounds like you need a P.38 if you want to use it's holster.
The Germans even went so far as to stamp the holsters with the pistol it was made for. A Luger holster won't be much more expensive than a P.38 holster, and it is correct.

JP, first let me state that this is just a difference of opinion, I'm don't want to start an arguement.:) But, I have to disagree and agree on the underlined portion. There's plenty of documentation and photos showing 'modified' equipment in German use, however you're completely correct on German soldiers being well disciplined.

Some examples of modified equipment go from the simple (breadbag straps on helmets to hold camo, chicken wire helmet covers, rotating the front sling loops on MP40's), to the moderate (camo tunics made from zeltbahns [officer/Sr. Nco] and other camo clothing from Italian zelts), to the extreme (many armored and AT vehicles, truck, etc.). I fully agree, no landser would get his weapon nickel plated with pearl grips! That's not the type of mod I was getting at.

Soldiers from all armies and eras, have and will alter equipment under wartime conditions to improve functionality, comfort, etc. This is coming from personal experience also (20yrs in the Army; Iraq and Afghanistan). It would be within limitations though.

Anyway, as to my original post: I'm going to get two holsters. One will be an original P-08 holster, the other will be a repro P-38 softshell. A reply to this question on another forum let me know the Luger will fit the P-38 holster. I'm getting the repro, that way I can tinker with it, and if I screw something up, I'm not out a lot of money. I'd never mess with an original.

Thanks to all that took the time to read and reply to my post.

Regards,
Bill

Johnny Peppers
08-26-2011, 08:27 AM
All,

I recently purchased my first Luger, but still need a holster for it. Besides the standard hardshell, would one possibly fit in a softshell P-38 or Browning HP holster? I realize the magazine might not fit it's pouch, and there would be no pouch for the tool, I was mainly looking at the pistol itself.

I've posted this question on several different forums to get a variety of opinions and/or experiences. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

You ask for opinions, but really didn't want any?

Can you give an example of a Luger holster modified by a German soldier. We weren't talking putting bread bag straps on a helmet.

badjuju_4
08-26-2011, 01:47 PM
You ask for opinions, but really didn't want any?

Can you give an example of a Luger holster modified by a German soldier. We weren't talking putting bread bag straps on a helmet.

OK, how do you figure that I didn't want opinions? In my original post I asked if a Luger would fit in another type of holster. A number of people here and on other forums gave me their opinions and experiences. I did found out that yes, it will fit a softshell P-38 holster, though that holster is not designed for it.

I never once mentioned modifying the Luger's holster, only that the Germans did use and modify equipment for other than it's intended reasons. You mentioned that they were well disciplined and wouldn't, so I only cited a few examples of where they did. Again, I wasn't talking about an individual soldier, but common practices.

Again, I appreciate everyone who took the time to give me their opinions and advice, my question was answered. But, why does it seem that you are trying to instigate something?

Johnny Peppers
08-26-2011, 02:43 PM
All,

Thanks,
Bill

One of those loaded questions. Any suggestion appreciated as long as it agrees with yours. Why not just post the information initially that you intend to use a P.38 holster for a Luger; is there anything wrong with this? That would eliminated the suggestions that did not agree with yours.
The part about the Luger holster impeding a fast draw served only to confuse the issue.

badjuju_4
08-26-2011, 05:16 PM
One of those loaded questions. Any suggestion appreciated as long as it agrees with yours. Why not just post the information initially that you intend to use a P.38 holster for a Luger; is there anything wrong with this? That would eliminated the suggestions that did not agree with yours.
The part about the Luger holster impeding a fast draw served only to confuse the issue.

You're definitely trying to start something with comments like this. I wasn't going to buy any non-Luger holster unless someone said a Luger would fit. The P-38 and Browning HP's were a couple of the period holsters that I thought might work, considering the size of their frames. If someone said they wouldn't, then I wasn't going to buy one. Why bother asking this question if I intended to buy a P-38 holster all along? If someone had said that the standard hardshell P-08 holster was the only one the pistol would fit in, then that would be the only one I'd buy.

There are a few more things I'd like to say, but I'll keep this civil. This is my last post on this subject. If you feel the need to continue, please PM me.

Johnny Peppers
08-26-2011, 06:01 PM
This is not an opinion, but a fact. The P.08 with a stock lug is 1/4" longer than a P.38, and in a soft shell holster the P.38 fits snugly as it should. Put a P.08 in a P.38 soft shell holster and you have to stretch it slightly.

badjuju_4
08-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Johnny Peppers,

Thank you. That's the type of information I was looking for and why I asked the original question. It let's me know if there are options.

From what I've now learned the P-38 will fit, albeit tightly. I am going to get two holsters. A repro P-38 to tinker with (a lot less money) and an original Luger to go with the pistol.

Regards,
Bill

villiers
08-27-2011, 03:05 AM
The East German Volkspolizei (VoPo) used P38 holsters for their Lugers.

badjuju_4
08-27-2011, 10:04 PM
villiers,

Though post-war, that bit of info let's me know that it is possible.

Thanks,
Bill

villiers
08-28-2011, 06:35 AM
Got a `phone call from a local East German VoPo Luger collector a few weeks back who was looking for a genuine East German made (and issued) VoPo Luger holster. I asked an ex-VoPo armourer at my pistol club who stated that a few old Wehrmacht holsters (`Koffertaschen´) were used but mainly East German made, pebbled pigskin P38 holsters were used for their Lugers.