Yesterday I decided to fire form my new Lapua 243 brass to 22 CHeetah. After conforming 20 cases in the Neil Jones forming die, loading 41 gr's of IMR4895 under a 55 gr. Hornady FMJ.
Everything went well, however I only fire formed 2 cases. The first case came out easily, the second was a problem. Tapping the bolt handle to remove the case with a rubber mallet is not my idea of something going right.
Seems the Lapua brass is a bit larger in the web area, and even though I resized it in a 243 FL die, this brass is not going to work for the CHeetah. I called an old friend and told him of my trouble. He indicated the same thing, Lapua brass is really great brass, but not for what I am doing. He suggested Winchester brass as that is thinner overall from the rest of the brand names.
So, I am prepping Winchester cases today and fire forming in a different manner.
Running bullets down a barrel to fire form wears the barrel, so I am going to change to 19 gr's of Green Dot, then fill the case full of corn meal to the bottom of the neck and then topped with a dab of Crisco to hold the corn meal in. I may have to increase my charge weight to get the desired results. Will post later on what happened.
Also, having a wildcat is a lot of trouble, if I had known the problems I would be encountering, I might of thought twice before buying this rifle. I have spent hours and hours on case forming, just something I didn't expect.
Matt
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.