+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Nepal Martini Henry rifles...........

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Bob - The Beagle Master

The Nepal Martini Henry rifles...........

Before I get into the rifle I've got to apologize for not even realising this board was here, which is pretty unobservant for someone who has been on CSPicon almost since day one.

A friend of mine bought one of the Nepal rifles mail order and brought it to me to refinish for him. I have no idea which model it is other than there is no cocking lever on the right side of the receiver like the ones in the movie Zulu and it is the short levered model as opposed to the long lever.

The rifle is a mess. It is covered with 100 year old cosmolineicon and rust and the butt stock has a huge crack the length of it and about 1/32" wide going through to the center. He bought it with inspection and return rights and I told him to return it and by a M1icon or a carbine instead but he insists that it's going to look beautiful on the wall of his eatery so refinish it.

I went to the Milsurps restoration forum and they told me to clean it "gently and lovingly" and not use steel wool or anything harsh on it, which is really good advice on a collector's grade rifle but this is a very neglected and sadly P.O.S. old rifle that's going to end up on the wall being glanced at by people between beers.

Long story short, a toothbrush with brass bristles, lots if OO and OOOO steel wool, half gallon of paint thinner and two rolls of paper towels later I've stumbled upon a rifle under all of that crud. The barrel has rifling, the short lever and drop block function flawlessly, it has a crisp trigger, great wood on the forearm, a rear sight no longer frozen in rust and generally "ain't too bad!"

I took the buttplate off, located the screw inside the hole that mounts the buttstock to the rifle and it won't budge after all this time. Question is, what to do? It's no longer a P.O.S. and it has great possibilites but it has that huge crack and I want to fix it somehow. If I could get that rusted screw out I might be able to clamp the wood and squeeze the crack together and get it to hold with some glue and a couple of countersunk screws. Or should I just use wood filler and let it go?????
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    04-09-2023 @ 08:59 PM
    Real Name
    Rick Slater
    Local Date
    03-19-2024
    Local Time
    04:40 AM
    Bob,

I bought one of the first ones to come out, from IMA. I was an old fan of "Zulu" and always wanted one. The rifle came (more or less) clean and in decent shape. I've been tempted to roll the dice and get one of the "uncleaned ones (maybe a long lever?) as a Project rifle. Wish ammunition wasn't so danged expensive! They are fun to shoot.

Good luck on restoring. How about some "before and after" pictures?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    (Milsurp Forums)

Last On
    12-30-2023 @ 05:23 PM
    Local Date
    03-19-2024
    Local Time
    06:40 AM
    Bob,

I've done my fair share of butt stock removals and while I'm not familiar with the specific rifle you mention, I recommend you take the time to remove the butt stock bolt.

The Martini Henry has a long bolt that holds the butt stock to the receiver - it sounds like its rusted in place. The bolt has a single slot in its center. You need a screwdriver blade that fits the slot as closely as you can. I made mine from tool steel and ground it to fit. The secret is making the blade almost as wide as the diameter of the hole in which the bolt fits and making the blade have parallel sides that just fit into the slot - its trial and error. Next you need the shank of this screwdriver to have the ability to fit a "T" handle - I found a 5/8" socket worked well on the hex bar. This will give you the fit and the leverage necessary to break the thread free.

I'm not sure if the end of the bolt is visible from inside the receiver but I'd remove the fore stock, and strip the internals out of the lock mechanism anyway. If the bolt head is visible, you could try a good penetrating oil - it can't hurt.

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    05-20-2014 @ 09:13 AM
    Local Date
    03-19-2024
    Local Time
    Bob,

It sounds like your friend bought one of the Francotte as is Martini's.

You should be able remove the trigger group and all the internal will be attached. This is significant rifle in Martini Desigh.

A common problem with Martini's is rusty stock bolt. The shaft of the stock bolt gets rusty and the rust swells up in the hole on the stock. Often 4 or 5 inch is rusty and swollen and no about pentrating fluids will penetrate that deep. This could also be the reason for the stock split.

The best you can do is try and get the stock bolt looose.

Put the action in the padded jaws of a vise. The action should be in the vise with the barrel horizontal. With a large heavy flat tip screw driver, preferably a square shaft, try and move the screw. If you can fully remove it the better. If you can move it a little that's good also. Work it in and out increasing the rotation. When you turn the screw out just a bit, take a rubber mallet and tap the butt a bit to loosen things.

Be patient and keep trying.

I have had these stocks rusted on so tight that have had to drill through the side of the stock and cut the bolt. I also had one that even that didn't work and I ended up splitting the stock to get it off.

You do not want to do this with this stock as there is no repleacements.

Rick,

Haven't heard from you for a long while, how you been?

Bob - The Beagle Master

Smile Here is where I am at as of tonight.....................

First the forearm. I got the forearm off with little trouble since only one screw and one pin hold it in place. The big surprise was that a lot of the cosmolineicon was still pliable and that about 40% of the metal under the wood was good and showed a lot of blue. The metal along the edge where the wood and metal come together was a different story, Very bad pitting in that area.

The only markings that I have found are 5.939 etched on the barrel, receiver, middle band and front band. The lever has a row of several markings that are stamped in but I have no idea what they are.

As to the buttstock, I did find a screwdriver that was long enough and did exactly fit the slot with no slop. I wrapped an old pair of sweatpants around the stock and placed it in a vise, put the screwdriver firmly into the slot, clamped vise grips on the screwdriver and twisted as hard as I could. Nothing! I took a hammer and hit the screwdriver hard several times trying to jar the threads and break them free but still nothing.

I finally fell back on an old tried and true way of filling cracks (although much smaller cracks) and sanded the stock, collected the dust, mixed it with wood glue, placed a split cardboard paper towel roll in the screwdriver hole and filled the crack a little at a time. Took quite a while but I finally filled the crack all the way to the cardboard roll (someday someone may really scratch their head on that one!) and am letting it dry so I can sand that area and see where I'm at with it.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    02-10-2010 @ 02:28 AM
    San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the "Sound of freedom" from Camp Pendleton
    Local Date
    03-19-2024
    Local Time
    03:40 AM
    Kroil. See if you can get some Kroil down there on the screw, and let it soak over night.

Dean (the other one)

Bob - The Beagle Master

Question Here's where it's at as of tonight...............

I did try the Kroil but it still wouldn't budge, and remembering that one of you had said there are no replacement stocks, I gave up on that idea before I broke the stock. I have it stabilized with a screw at the rear and one in the middle. The mixture of glue and sawdust does have the crack completely sealed and it doesn't show too obviously. The stock and forearm are both sanded and steel wooled and the raw umber tinting color has been applied. Next will come the BLOicon. I did find some numbers on the stock that have obviously been put in with an awl. The number is 3.84.

I went to the Nepalese website and as far as I can tell the lettering on the cocking lever seems to be Nepalese. Is there a chance that these rifles were actually made for the government of Nepal?

He also got a sling for the rifle. It has a fixed keeper on one end, a sliding keeper in the middle and the other end has four holes and a piece of leather thong. The sling has a crown imprinted into the leather on the end with the holes. Does anyone know how this sling goes on the rifle?

9. Thank You to Bob - The Beagle Master For This Useful Post:

Bob - The Beagle Master

Question For DoubleD

What name did you go by on the old forum Rick?

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    05-20-2014 @ 09:13 AM
    Local Date
    03-19-2024
    Local Time
    I always use Double D on the forums or some form of it.

Its just my intials

DD

dogtag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast