Hi There,

Looking for help from the experts again.

On another web forum I frequent, somebody posted a "wanted to buy" for an 8mm Mauser, explaining he wanted it to build-up a .300 Win. Mag. Well, as it happened, I had purchased a ".30-06" years and years ago. A few years ago I took it to a local custom rifle maker to find out if I could have anything interesting built of it. They told me it wasn't worth much, except for the receiver, which, they told me, was so strong they could chamber it for literally anything. They told me it was an 8mm that had been re-chambered for .30-06, but it'd never been re-barreled.

Well, I took pictures and pointed this guy to them. He got very interested. That got me to wondering: Maybe this rifle is worth more than that builder had thought? I did a bit of research today, and it looks like these rifles go for anywhere from $350 to $650?

Here are the pictures: Index of /misc/guns/broomstick The -sm ones are re-sized and bandwidth-friendly. The -lg ones are, well, large .

There appears to be a bit of rust here and there. I just finished examining the chamber and bore. The bore looks clean and bright, with strong rifling. Inside the receiver, just outside the chamber, however, looks like it had once rusted, but it doesn't look like dry, active rusting. Curiously, there was no rust on any of the shiny bits--incl. the chamber itself. (Maybe all the rusting, if that's what it is/was, was from before it was re-chambered?) There's no pitting anywhere.

Wish I had better lighting so I could take super-macro pictures with good depth-of-field and colour rendition of the chamber area.

The stock (is that original?) has no dings, scrapes, nicks, etc. Except for that bit of rust on the bottom, by the screw forward of the magazine floor plate, the finish appears to be in good condition.

My potential buyer, as I said, seems very interested, and is asking me to give him a number. Heck, I've no idea .

Thanks in advance for any guidance

Seamus
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.