NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    09-07-2016 @ 08:52 PM
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    06:31 AM

Norwegian Krags and SAMMI spec 6.5x55

I just acquired a very nice Norwegianicon Kragicon in 6.5x55. I would like to shot it and see how it does against my Swedishicon Mauser in the same caliber, but I read somewhere that the Norwegians loaded their 6.5x55 a bit lighter then the Swedes did . The 6.5x55 ammo I have it withing the SAMMI specs, but at the top end of the spec (as per the Sierra reloading manual). Is it safe to shoot in a Norwegian Krag, or do I need to load some a bit lighter? If so how much lighter.

Thanks

Howard
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Real Name
    chuck
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    04:31 AM
    i shoot my Norski all the time with Swedishicon military ammo..
    shoots great.

3. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to Chuckindenver For This Useful Post:

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    11-01-2021 @ 12:41 AM
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    03:31 AM
    That's going tobe my next Kragicon. I'm looking for one that's already been butchered.

jn

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    05-10-2010 @ 11:23 PM
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    10:31 AM
    I have a m1912 and when I had the swede I always used the same ammo. Unfortunately the krag has a rather poor bore and while it is a pleasure to shoot it does not have the accuracy the m38 did. I have since acquired a m1889 danish krag in good condition. I hope to get some ammo loaded for it soon. Forming cases may prove to be a chore.

Advisory Panel

Last On
    06-09-2023 @ 04:20 AM
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    Let us know how it works out for you, Pavogrande. Don't know of many folk shooting the '89s.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    12-03-2018 @ 10:50 AM
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    04:31 AM
    You might want to be careful there with interchanging 6.5 x 55 ammo in Swedishicon and Norwegianicon Krags. On page #81 of his book, "Neutrality through Marksmanship: The Collectors and Shooters Guide to Swedish Military Rifles 1867-1942", Doug Bowser says, "WARNING!!!! Do not shoot Danishicon manufactured 6.5 x 55 ammunition in a Swedish mauser. The combination of soft jacket material and sharp edges on the lands and grooves of the rifling contributes to heavy fouling, which may cause high chamber pressures. There have been reports of several Swedish Mauser Rifles being blown up by this ammunition." Bowser goes on to cite "The Book of Rifles" by Smith & Smith as the first reference that he saw on this problem.

Last On
    01-14-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Virden, Man. Pop 3250, 4 miles from Wolverine's range!
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    The whole idea of Norwayicon and Swedenicon using the same ammunition was to ensure commonalty of supply in case they were both fighting the same enemy.

With this in mind one would think that the ammunition should interchange safely.

I have used Norma Amotfors, Norma Oslo and Sellier & Bellot in my Norski gevaer (1918) and it is still in one piece.

Last On
    11-01-2021 @ 12:41 AM
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    03:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie View Post
    The whole idea of Norwayicon and Swedenicon using the same ammunition was to ensure commonalty of supply in case they were both fighting the same enemy.

Our great uncle Olaf told us when we wer kids. "Do youknow what these long skinny bullets are for, boys?" "It's for shooting dem long tall Svedes!" So much for joint defense.

jn

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    02-04-2011 @ 11:02 AM
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time

Butchered Carbine

Hi Gang,
    I have been lucky with my Norwegianicon Kragicon so far. A friend who is not a gun person bought it at an auction in Fairfax, VA several years ago (Fairfax is in the Metro Washington D.C area). I admired its smooth action, in spite of the fact that it was missing its trigger guard and stock screws, and some jerk had Cut the fore end off a half inch in front of the rear sight and had squared off the butt I admired it until I found a trigger guard and stock screws on Gunbroker, then I gave him what he had in it - $275.

To cut to the chase, It wouldn't group at 50 yards, it only patterned, then I had its muzzle counter bored and snugged the barrel to what remained of the fore end with cable ties and worked on my load, which is basically the starting load for the Swede 6.5. It now shoots minute of antler anyway. BTW, the fellow who sold me the trigger guard was in Norway and was very helpful with information on these little jewels, including identifying mine as originally having been a 1908 field artillery carbine, one of only 750 made it its original configuration (sniff..).

My questions is: do you think I should alter a barrel band I have to do a better snugging job between barrel and fore end, or try for an original stock and front hardware?

All thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Jack

Advisory Panel Patrick Chadwick's Avatar
    Last On
    06-25-2023 @ 06:36 AM
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by berthaq View Post
    My questions is: do you think I should alter a barrel band I have to do a better snugging job between barrel and fore end, or try for an original stock and front hardware?
    Only a week or so ago I provoked the fates by telling someone that his chances of finding the extra barrel bands to fit his Mauser 1891 Argentineicon Engineer's Carbine fell into the hen's teeth range of probability. He prompty found such bands a day or so later!

So maybe I can push luck your way by saying that the chances of finding a spare stock and hardware for a Norwegianicon Kragicon are pretty dim, and your are more likely to find a wall-hanger that you can plunder.

There! Now someone will offer you a brand-new stock within 48 hours!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast