Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Real Name
    Steve
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    02:34 AM

Russian Capture k98

I've been watching for a K98icon for the past several months and located one this afternoon. It is however a Russianicon capture reworked version.

DOT marked on top of receiver, German Nazi markings are intact. I recall seeing two of them with the usual eagle over swastika along with several other eagle type markings. Stock is stamped with the same serial as the barrel but I don't know if this was German or Soviet practice. Bolt and base plates are stenciled with matching serial numbers. Bore looks very good, some slight pitting in spots but nothing major and the crown rifling is very sharp. Bolt seems to work smoothly, safety works but is hard to put on and off. Stock is sound but has badly chipped varnish on it, looks terrible but would probably clean up nice. It's a 1944 and the mill finish on the metal work is rough. Bluing is in good shape, some black paint over blued areas is flaking off.

Price seems pretty decent at $230 compared with other Mausers I've seen recently but I really don't know much about them. I'm not a serious collector, more interested in having decent looking and functioning weapons rather than "correct" weapons. I don't like the stenciled serial numbers. There is an import mark which is almost hidden by the cleaning rod at the end of the barrel.

I did not try the trigger as I wasn't sure if I am interested in buying but will check that before making any final decisions.

It seems like an inexpensive way to get a decent looking K98 but am wondering if I should hold out and pay more for the "real" deal.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    02-13-2021 @ 05:50 PM
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    01:34 AM
    the serial number on the left side of the butt of the rifle was put there by the Russians. by 1943 the Germans had stopped stamping the serial number on the outside of the stock (even when they did, it was on the underside of the stock).

$230 for a Russianicon Capture is a fair price. the electro-penciled serial numbers are also Soviet done.

if by "real deal" you mean an all matching or a veteran bring back, expect to pay well over $1000 for it. it depends on what you want it for. if you want to shoot it, the Russian capture is the best bet. if you want to just look at it and appreciate it for what it is, the veteran bring back or all matching is the better choice.

many people don't want to risk damage to their all matching Mausers by firing them so they're just collector's pieces.

also many all matching 98ks are faked and are not, in fact, "all matching". Mitchell's Mausers is one big name that does this. if you are in the market for an all matching one, do some research first to keep from getting screwed by unscrupulous sellers and ethics.
    Last edited by kar98k; 04-16-2010 at 06:24 PM.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    Real Name
    Steve
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    $1000 is out of my price range interest so I'm just after a shooter I guess.

I've heard over the years that late war production rifles are not the best. Is that in finish (which I can see) or in metal quality?

I was told a while back to stay away from Mitchell's Mausers for a variety of reasons. I find it curious that they seem to get pretty good premiums from their rifles though, $500 range and this for Yugoicon's without the Germanicon markings. I've seen this at the local auctions. It's like the people are buying the little certificate that comes with them. They do look nice but then so does the Russianicon capture, except for the stock and I can fix that.

Last On
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    a good shooter isn't a bad place to start. they're often battle hardened veterans of intense combat on the Eastern Front but can still be very accurate and fun shooters.

late war rifles were just thrown together with whatever parts the manufacturers had available. sometimes this means they're just ugly, other times they may be unsafe to fire. a dot 44 i wouldn't worry about though. that's generally only true of very late war rifles ( like an April or May 1945 made rifle)

i would assume that most of the people who buy a Mitchell's Mauser either don't know or don't care about their practices. what they claim to be an all matching 98k is nothing more than a Russianicon capture they clean, reblue, restamp and sometimes restock. they file down all original markings and stamp their own to make it "all matching"
    Last edited by kar98k; 04-16-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Last On
    Real Name
    Steve
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    Interesting to know about Mitchell's. Seems like most good gun dealers/collectors have something negative to say about them.

The price seems right. Wish I'd gotten in on them a bit sooner.

Any warning signs I should look for?

Last On
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    yeah, even just 5 years ago Russianicon captures were readily available for $199. now it's hard to find them under $250 and the ones that are usually have the swastikas peened.

from your original description, it sounds like a pretty good rifle. the only thing i can think of left to check would be the headspace, but again i wouldn't worry about it. of my 6 Russian capture 98ks 2 of them have very worn bores but still headspace fine.
    Last edited by kar98k; 04-16-2010 at 08:41 PM.

8. Thank You to kar98k For This Useful Post:

Last On
    10-01-2023 @ 12:52 AM
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    Understand this was captured at end of war and was shipped off to Mother Russiaicon. Lots of history, as it was made in Czechicon. and used by Germans and shipped off East. Lots of history. Price is right, too. Nice find by you!

Last On
    Real Name
    Steve
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    I went up to pick it up today. Saw how he had two different prices on ammo, one for cash, one for credit so I asked if he discounted rifles for cash.

I got it for $200. I'm very pleased.

Ran a brush through it, doesn't appear to be pitting that I saw, just a little dirt and milling marks. I don't have a proper brush for this caliber so I can't get it completely brushed out but the bore is shiny as is. Has its cleaning rod but is missing the two screws on the baseplate and trigger guard and the front sight cap.

Eagle marking on stock is very faint. Hoping it will show up better after removing the shellac.

Thanks for the advice.

Last On
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    enjoy your new rifle!

Last On
    Real Name
    Steve
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    Well, I've torn it apart cleaned the metal and removed the shellac from the stock.

Bluing is nearly perfect. One small area about a half inch by 1/16 inch with rust on the bottom of the barrel and two small spots of rust on the receiver where it is hidden by the stock. The magazine body is the only part that shows wear and it has some pitting that is consistent with some of the Nagants I've worked on, all in areas hidden by the stock. It is not rusting, it was controlled when reworked and the bluing again is perfect.

One thing I noticed that seems strange after reading about these is the lack of numbers. Almost nothing is stamped. Did the Russians remove the serial numbers from the small parts? That seems like a lot of work for nothing. Or is this something that as a time saving constraint they stopped doing toward the end of the war. The parts usually still have the small eagles stamped in them, just no serial numbers. There is also a nice crest followed by an HS and a small eagle toward the bottom of the barrel. The crest can be seen with the stock on, the letters and eagle can't.

The stock has not one but two large eagle stamps, one on top of the other. the letters are different but I haven't really had a chance to check them out. The first I could see before removing the shellac, the second showed up after. Both are much clearer now.

I'd like to try to improve the stocks appearance somewhat before putting a new oil finish on it. Get the cosmolineicon out, try to get uniform color, etc. I've worked with regular wood stocks before but am a bit concerned with this laminate. I've never used oven cleaner on a stock but have used a chemical called K2R. I'm concerned that chemical cleaning agents will eat the glue or cause delamination and I definately don't want that to happen.

Can you also iron out or steam out depressions in the laminate, again without the heat affecting the glue.

I'm not trying to make it look new, just cleaner.

I also read that the sight ramp should be white metal except for the numbers and grooves. For an RC would it be better to just leave it alone or return it to Germanicon war appearance? I'm not planning to try to remove the Russianicon serial stamped on the stock.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast