I've been watching for a K98icon for the past several months and located one this afternoon. It is however a Russianicon capture reworked version.

DOT marked on top of receiver, German Nazi markings are intact. I recall seeing two of them with the usual eagle over swastika along with several other eagle type markings. Stock is stamped with the same serial as the barrel but I don't know if this was German or Soviet practice. Bolt and base plates are stenciled with matching serial numbers. Bore looks very good, some slight pitting in spots but nothing major and the crown rifling is very sharp. Bolt seems to work smoothly, safety works but is hard to put on and off. Stock is sound but has badly chipped varnish on it, looks terrible but would probably clean up nice. It's a 1944 and the mill finish on the metal work is rough. Bluing is in good shape, some black paint over blued areas is flaking off.

Price seems pretty decent at $230 compared with other Mausers I've seen recently but I really don't know much about them. I'm not a serious collector, more interested in having decent looking and functioning weapons rather than "correct" weapons. I don't like the stenciled serial numbers. There is an import mark which is almost hidden by the cleaning rod at the end of the barrel.

I did not try the trigger as I wasn't sure if I am interested in buying but will check that before making any final decisions.

It seems like an inexpensive way to get a decent looking K98 but am wondering if I should hold out and pay more for the "real" deal.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.