Don't know where else to post this, so please forgive if this isn't the most appropriate forum. Has anyone seen a Lyman Alaskan 'scope actually marked 'M73'? The M73 designation was approved for the pretty-much-standard Lyman Alaskan, for use on the M1903A4 or M1C. Senich shows in his sniper books an ordnance drawing for am M73 telescope, a military 'blessed' Lyman Alaskan - it is marked M73. My question is whether any actually got so marked.

The reason for my question: I have two Alaskan's with the military part number on the covers for the windage and elevation caps. One is marked with the standard "All-Weather" marking on the bases for the W&E adjustments; the other has unmarked bases. One has a 4-digit serial number, the other has none. I can't explain these features on a commercial Alaskan; hence I wonder if they could be M73's or prototypes for the M73 designation.

Just to confuse the situation further, the M81 on my M1C has all the proper features, but has neither a maker's mark or a serial number - early? Prototype?

Can anyone enlighten me on these?

OlManDow
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.