• 1912 No.1 MkIII Enfield Rifle (Battle Damaged)

The following article is a series of posts being re-published with the kind permission and consent of the author, terryinvictoria. On behalf of MILSURPS.COM members, we'd like to publicly thank him for his support.

1912 No.1 MkIII Enfield Rifle (Battle Damaged)
    (Manufactured by BSA)

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

Here is my blown up No1 Mk3 dated early --it is a 1912 mfg unit by BSA. The rifle is all correct still retaining it's volley sights and serialled to the receiver --barrel, bolt etc.

The bore is mirror, it gauges very tight as if it was never used a lot.

For those reasons I believe the soldier that carried it was killed early on in World War 1.

The man I bought it from said that it came from his wife's father who was in the military and that the rifle hung in an officers mess for decades and decades. Apparently the soldier was a very popular fellow in the regiment and when he was killed the rifle itself was retrieved and hidden away from the unit armourers.

The rifle could be shot by replacing the following.

a) Foreend and handguards--riddled by shrapnel and blast effect
    b) triggerguard -hit and bent by shrapnel
    c) magazine-- riddled by lots of shrapnel
    Other than that it shows some surface rust here and there I keep it well oiled now and just cannot alter it to shoot it.

Finishing the story I was told about it's history.

The soldier was killed by some blast whether by shell or landmine I would not know a shell makes the most sense I guess.

At any rate the soldier was highly respected so the unit hid the rifle, all throughout WW1 and brought it back to Canada. I believe he said his wifes father has in the common wealth --South Africa army, Aussie or British, I cannot remember I will have to ask again.

But they saved it from the armourers and ended returning it to their officers mess in the city where they came from.
    There it sat for decades ending up in the back closet of the father and upon his death they found it laying there.

BSA 1912 No1 Mk3
    All numbers matching

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

The rifle has been cleaned up and preserved since these photos taken at the time I bought it for $100.00 Canadian about seven years or so ago. Could not help myself. One fellow said --THATS NOT WORTH ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS IT'S "JUNK". Yes "but junk with some serious history" that being--a piece of history that a soldier used to go to war to fight for us all and gave his life, the ultimate sacrifice.

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

When I hold this rifle in my hands as one would walk a path with the rifle across your front from left to right you can see where the soldiers left leg protected some of the foreend between the magazine and the front sight--look for that in the next picture. Here is the blast effect on the magazine area and trigger guard. And one now can imagine some of the rifles that arrived at Unit Armourers for a field rebuild.

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

Here is the foreend and you can see where his left leg protected the foreend as the blast came up from below the soldier.

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

Another pic from the front angle.

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

Here is the trigger guard that was hit dead on by shrapnel or a bullet? The Magazine is riddled by shrapnel through and through.

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

The nose cap is missing the foreend and wobbles around on the barrel.

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

Missing wood here.

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

I have always assumed that the --WA-- is western Australia that is well documented and accepted as fact.

The --CNF-- is however a mystery.

One Australian theorized it was -Commonwealth Naval Force?
    I don't know about that but it sounds possible but I have never ever been able to prove it.

One thing we know is that the rifle was obviously in a battle somewhere.

It sure points out the work unit armourers would have been exposed to in the field when every rifle that was damaged was required back at the front.

This one as I posted was hidden by the unit a brought back to their country that could well have been Australia.

I will have to ask the nationality of Ken's wife's father and when he emigrated to Canada.

Now in the first POST I posted that Ken thought the rifle was damaged in the first World War. That is what he said, but he also said that no one really knew as the father never specifically said WW1 it could have been WW2 but if that was the case it would probably not have the volley sights, mag cuttoff and an original barrel serial numbered to the receiver dated 1912 as is the receiver.

But back to the unit markings.

I know this

a) WA is western Australia
    b) the brass unit disc -RM- is Royal Marines
    c) the -CNF- maybe commonwealth Naval Forces.

Another Enfield mystery.

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

Collector's Comments and Feedback:

1. Terry is close in his guess as to the meaning of the markings found on the butt of this rifle. According to Skennerton's book "The Broad Arrow", the markings are Australian and mean:

WA = West Australia
    C.N.F. = Cadet Naval Forces

.......... (Feedback by "Badger")

2. I had asked about the markings...

RM = Royal Marines
    CNF -- Possibly Cadet Naval Forces but I have never been convinced
    WA- = Western Australia.

I have now found official Australian use of the CNF as CommonWealth Naval Forces this is noted to have been instituted in 1901.

It is on page 11 at the bottom on this Australian Navy Letter (click here)

I think we all should be notifying the web pages that have Lee Enfield Markings pages to add this to their official government markings.

.......... (Feedback by "terryinvictoria")
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 1912 No.1 MkIII Enfield Rifle (Battle Damaged) started by Badger View original post
    Comments 2 Comments
      This thread is most interesting with its photographs, the comments on damage, likely protection by the owner's body parts, and then the original issue markings. My original post and inquiry for a study of battle damage on firearms and edged weapons did not comprehend such monumental damage. However this is par for the course and displays the knowledge and interest of forum members. Provenance of the rifle from its markings can provide a clue to issue and maybe the theatre too.
      Ian Skennerton
      Information
      Warning: This is a relatively older thread
      This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
      A great specimen indeed. You should do everything you can to trace the history!

I have my father's 1918 SMLE (No.1 Mk. III*) that was used on the Dieppe Raid in August 1942 and was brought back by one of the approximately 50 survivors of the Essex-Scottish Regiment. It was written off, my Dad as a reinforcement officer fixed it up and then carried it on training and a Commando raid, and later brought it homw with him.

Battle damaged firearms are quite interesting, especially when one can research the history. e.g. the Imperial War Museum has a 9mm Browning pistol on display with a bullet hole through the grip.

In the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada Museum and Archives in Vancouver, British Columbia, there is a .38 Smith & Wesson (as I recall) revolver with a bullet strike on the trigger guard. Sadly no-one bothered to write down the story when it came in, so that history is now lost.

I had started that museum in 1972 while serveing as an officer with the regiment and I ran the museum on three "tours of duty" for 13 years. It is now an official Canadian Forces Museum. While I was Curator there, one of many weapons I added to the collection was a Ross M10 rifle which looked like it was battle damaged but which was actually the result of a civilian accident. The rifle wood had been sporterized and an onstruction halfway down the barrel had spit the barrel wide open, except that it was intact at breech and muzzle! The forend wood was blown away so it was not obviously civilianized. It is a real eyecathcer, useful for warning our soldiers to keep their barrels clear, and most amazingly of all, the bolt still worked smoothly, a teastament to the strength of the Ross action. It was donated by Alan Lever, then owner of Lever Arms in Vancouver.
Raven Rocks