NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    04-17-2011 @ 04:13 PM
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    03:47 PM

Question 7MM Venezuelan Mauser

Hi: I'm new on this site, looks pretty neat. Looking for info on a 7MM Mauser.

7MM Venezuelan Mauser serial # 35XXX, old style coat of arms with the horse facing right.

I wonder if anyone can tell more about this gun. It's in close to like new condition, serial numbers on the receiver, barrel & bolt match. Barrel is clean.

Any idea of value?

No other marks other than shown in the pictures that I can find -- no marks on ths bottom of the receiver, no 2 digit mark where the BBL meets the receiver.

Do any marks confirm where the gun was made & what year?

It measures 44" overall, bbl measures 23-1/3"

Check the pictures for other marks -- The small rectangle box & marks on the bolt to the left of the S/N is shown in the past pic.

Is any particular ammo recommended for this gun? Any ammo to avoid?
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    @
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    04:47 PM
    From what I can see in the pics your rifle was made in Herstal Belgiumicon by F.N. Don't have a clue as to what year. Being sportered it's probably worth no more than $100. If it was restored with the correct parts it may be worth 3-4 times it's current value. It's built on the mod. 98 action so it will safely handle any 7x57/7mm Mauser ammo you want to use. Military ammo is corrosive so clean it immediatly after shooting it or avoid it altogether.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    10-01-2023 @ 12:52 AM
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    I think it may be a 1930 era Mauser. Cut down really hurts value. You will not be able to restore it easily. Worth? $100-$150. Nice hunting rifle. Privi 7mm is hot ammo and good quality.

Advisory Panel Patrick Chadwick's Avatar
    Last On
    06-25-2023 @ 06:36 AM
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    10:47 PM

Sporterized 24/30 short rifle

As already said by vintage hunter, a Belgian-made Mauser.
    Looks like the FN model 24/30 short rifle. 16,500 short rifles and carbines were delivered in 1934-5, with subsequent smaller orders up to start of WWII. So statistically most likely date is 1934-5.
    Barrel length seems correct for a short rifle - it is NOT a cut-down.
    It also looks as if the foresight and backsight may be original.

Thiis is all good news, as you would only (!!!) need the correct stock + fittings to put it back into military configuration. Try "the usual suspects" for spares, or look for a wallhanger as a parts donor.

Lumberjack, for your enlightenment, the marks are read thus:
    Lion over PV is the Belgian proof mark, applied on barrel, chamber/receiver and bolt.
    Star over V is the inspector's mark
    E over LG is the Liege proof mark.

Ammo is no problem. Try it out. If it is a good shooter and you can get bits or a wallhanger donor for not much more than 100, I would go for it.

Patrick

6. Thank You to Patrick Chadwick For This Useful Post:

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    04-17-2011 @ 04:13 PM
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    Gentlemen, thanks for the fast reply --- gun was a gift many years ago & occupied a space in my gun cabinet and was all but completly forgotton about. Glad to hear I won't be desecrating an antique or otherwise collectible piece by using it & I fully intend to put it to work. Thanks again!!

Advisory Panel Patrick Chadwick's Avatar
    Last On
    06-25-2023 @ 06:36 AM
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    10:47 PM

Some suggestions for a possible stock

The Venezuelan 24/30 has a standard size large-ring 98-type action. This means that the wood and fittings from several other types could fit - I am not going to stick my neck out and say will fit, as I have not got a 24/30 to check. If you can get hold of a stock to try for fit before purchase, then you could try the stock from other 98 types of short rifle with a barrel not much longer than 23.2".

The 24/30 was an FN export model, made for quite a few countries around the world. Belgian FN 24/30 (23.22 barrel) could be a perfect fit. The Peruvian 1935 is basically the same model.

Export Model 1933 or 1935 "Mauser banner" short rifles had a slightly shorter (22") barrel, made for Argentinaicon, Bolivia etc. etc.

K98kicon (23.6" barrel) would not be correct, but at least look like a military rifle again!

There are probably a lot more, but I think you get the idea. The correct stock has a pistol grip and no grasping grooves, and is cut out for the standard large-ring 98 action. Someone somewhere in the US of A will surely have a suitable stock, even if he doesn't know it! Or as I already suggested, buy a wallhanger to get the wood plus fittings!

Patrick
    Last edited by Patrick Chadwick; 04-20-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Last On
    07-14-2023 @ 09:52 PM
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chadwick View Post
    The Venezuelan 24/30 has a standard size large-ring 98-type action.
    Patrick
    No such thing as a 24/30. Only Model 1930.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    10-06-2017 @ 05:31 PM
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    Hi: I'm new on this site, looks pretty neat. Looking for info on a 7MM Mauser.

7MM Venezuelan Mauser serial # 35XXX, old style coat of arms with the horse facing right.

I wonder if anyone can tell more about this gun. It's in close to like new condition, serial numbers on the receiver, barrel & bolt match. Barrel is clean.

Any idea of value?

No other marks other than shown in the pictures that I can find -- no marks on ths bottom of the receiver, no 2 digit mark where the BBL meets the receiver.

Do any marks confirm where the gun was made & what year?

It measures 44" overall, bbl measures 23-1/3"

Check the pictures for other marks -- The small rectangle box & marks on the bolt to the left of the S/N is shown in the past pic.

Is any particular ammo recommended for this gun? Any ammo to avoid?
    You are in luck. I also own a mint, completely original unissued, non-refurbished, and unfired** Venezuelan Short Rifle (FN Model 1930 Mauser). I did alot of research on my rifle, and that combined with an e-mail confirmation from FH Herstal (yep, they actually responded to my questions), I know mine was made between 1946 and 1947. My serial number is also 35***. So, yours is NOT a pre-war example, but it is still very collectible as it was the last year (1947) that FN made Mausers with C-type broach cut receivers, as I am sure your's has. Read here for more information on the subtle differences between a pre-war and a post-war Vene: http://books.google.ca/books?id=p40I...assive&f=false

Feel free to have a browse of my Vene:

secretazure's photosets on Flickr

As noted above, Prvi Partizan makes excellent 7x57 ammo that is not underpowered. Your Vene will prefer the 173 Grain Prvi soft points -- as it was sighted from the factory using a similar grain size bullet. ** I put 20 rounds down the barrel to shake-off the cobwebs -- and what a pleasure it was!

Here's a few photos to wet your interest:

Feel free to email me if you have any further questions:

secretazure@yahoo.ca
    Last edited by Kurgan; 09-23-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Last On
    10-01-2023 @ 12:52 AM
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    Kugan- Nice and very nice! Thank you for the photo essay.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    10-06-2017 @ 05:31 PM
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    You're welcome. I am starting to gain an appreciation and interest in Mausers, and hope to acquire a few more examples over the next little while. I also own a beautiful custom Mauser 98 lightweight sporter in 7x57 topped with a vintage Nickel 2.5x scope -- my "go to" rifle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast