This is one of the reasons why I joined Milsurps today. On ebay Australia a purported 1913 Lithgow Pattern 1907 Hook Quillon bayonet sold today for A$3,176.

The link is: Australian P1907 Lithgow Hooked Quillon bayonet. | eBay. If this link doesn't work then the item number is simply 110733004454.

A 1913 dated Australian Lithgow Hook is extremely rare and has some manufacturing differences to the later ones dated 1914 and 1915 and for that matter all later produced bayonets.

Several bayonet colleagues contacted me during the auction to seek my opinion as to its authenticity and express their concerns particularly in that the seller would not respond to emails or provide addional details and photos. I finally did get a response from the seller when I made an accusation regarding it being a fake saying that they would not accept a bid from me - yeah, as if !!

Ebay did nothing despite several independant complaints/reports - nothing unusual here !!

In my younger years I was caught with the odd fake and I only hope that this sale is not the start of more of these dubious bayonets. Would be interested to hear from anyone regarding general comments and in particular ways to get the message out there.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.