Hey all,
I am new here and I have a few questions on my grandfathers rifle that was recently given to me.
It appears to be a Springfield US Armory M1903 SN 1536035. The barrel is 22in from the receiver to the tip and has the RA stamp on the end with a date of 7-43. There are no grooves for a sight. It currently has a Bishop sporter stock with a pistol grip.
The scope is a Weaver 330 with pencil engraving on the side "telescope M73B1 Serial #10616" it is mounted on a Redfield mount.
The rifle appears to be in great condition to my greenhorn eye, with no rust or scratches on the barrel or scope. The stock is in really good shape with a small scratch below the bolt.
My questions are: could the barrel be original to the receiver? I cannot find any info on any forums regarding Springfield receivers with a SN in that range. and with the scope having the military markings, could this receiver and barrel been converted to a sniper rifle during the war?
My last question to the group is, with the shortened barrel, would it be possible/worth it to convert it back to an original "C" stock?

Thank you all in advance for your help,
Charlie
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.