Questions from a newbie: I've just bought (not yet collected) a No1 mk1*from EFD in the UKicon. It's been quite well restored but there are some details which I understand from Skennertonicon and the 1907 1*** in the Milsurps Knowledge Libraryicon aren't correct for a 1*. I'm happy though, as I was aware of these issues before I made the purchase and for me it's a good compromise between total originality and practical shootability. I would like to bring the rifle closer to originality over time though.

The rifle is a 1906 BSA 1*, but currently has the sheet steel buttplate and single screw swivel as per Mk1. I believe it should have a gunmetal buttplate with trap and an inletted two screw rear swivel. It also clearly has a Mk III safety (it has III engraved on it), and it probably has a few other later parts as well.

But as the 1* was in production for just over one year in peacetime, and almost all the production was subsequently upgraded to 1***, presumably there just aren't many gunmetal buttplates in existence? No-one I know has ever seen one - do they exist outside museums? Does anyone have a photo of one so I can see what I should have? I'm taking the view that a sympathetic restoration should go 'forward' to parts that might plausibly have been replaced in service, rather than 'backwards' to parts from previous models, so I'm intending to fit a brass buttplate until (if ever) I can locate the right part.

Similarly, I know the Mk 1 (or MLE) swivel currently fitted isn't correct. Is the correct swivel the same pattern as the MkIII, and inletted the in same way?

Lastly, how do I tell the difference between a MkIII safety catch and banjo spring and those for a 1*?

No photos avaiable 'til I pick it up in a couple of weeks, I'm afraid.
Many thanks for sharing your expertise.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.