+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: The world has another airworthy Mosquito

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Mosquitos. I think that all the last RNZAF Mossies were chopped up at the RNZAF base on the right, on the way into Hamilton from Taupiri (remind me of the name someone). They had one outside while I was there plus loads of other stuff/wreckage that I think was used in the 633 squadron film. We used to play sports against the blokes there on Wednesday afternoons. Do they have one in the big museum in ChCh?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie303 View Post
    Hi Gil,
    I hadn't realised so much time had passed between my taking the photos at Greenham Common IAT in 1981 and when it crashed in 1996. Don't recall hearing about it being rebuilt after the crash.
    There was nothing left to rebuild as it was consumed by fire at the crash site.
    I believe those items recovered for the investigation, were later scrapped once the investigation was completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Laidler View Post
    Mosquitos. I think that all the last RNZAF Mossies were chopped up at the RNZAF base on the right, on the way into Hamilton from Taupiri (remind me of the name someone). They had one outside while I was there plus loads of other stuff/wreckage that I think was used in the 633 squadron film. We used to play sports against the blokes there on Wednesday afternoons. Do they have one in the big museum in ChCh?
    A lot of the RNZAF Mosquitoes were broken up/scrapped at RNZAF Woodbourne I believe.
    None of the ex-RNZAF aircraft were used in 633 Squadron, as these were all the ex-No.3 CAACU aircraft from RAF Exeter, the last UK Mosquito operation, as that had just been disbanded just prior to 633 Squadron being filmed.
    There are several Mosquitos still in NZ on display.
    One at the Museum of Transport and Technology in Auckland, one being restored in Christchurch by the Ferrymead Aero Society, two in private ownership (including an all original FB.IV still owned by the same farmer on the South Island that bought it from RNZAF disposal in 1955!) plus 2 complete derelict hulks of aircraft owned by the RNZAF Museum.

One of the Sergeant Armourers in NZ, Den Phillips was at Hamilton when the mosquitos were being broken up at the RNZAF station I mention Gee Ram! They organised the disarming of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Laidler View Post
    One of the Sergeant Armourers in NZ, Den Phillips was at Hamilton when the mosquitos were being broken up at the RNZAF station I mention Gee Ram! They organised the disarming of them!
    Yes, they were being broken up in more than one location in NZ, I only mentioned RNZAF Woodbourne as it was the only location I could name, as it was the location that IIRC at least 2 of the survivors came from.

PZ474 update

After spending a forture restoring it to flight and having it back in the USA for a very short duration, Rod Lewis has sold the Mosquito (as well as a P-51 and a P-40) to a new owner in California.
    PZ474 made to the flight to its new home in Sacramento last week.

Ironically, its pretty much a home coming for PZ474, as it's remains spent over half a century in SoCal since it flew into California from NZ in 1955 - and being sent back to NZ s a pile of bits, for its rebuild.
    It became the first Mosquito to fly in California since, it last flew there 60 years ago.......!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4