+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Why did this sell for so much?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    Deceased February 18th, 2014 Michael Petrov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    02-03-2014 @ 04:30 PM
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    153
    Local Date
    08-30-2016
    Local Time
    07:14 PM

    Why did this sell for so much?

    I was asked to look at this auction, now over, and for the life of me I have no idea why it sold for so much. Any ideas?

    Winchester A5 scope 1903 Springfield Mann-Neidner - eBay (item 130296073119 end time Mar-29-09 20:30:10 PDT)


  2. # ADS
    Friends and Sponsors
    Join Date
    October 2006
    Location
    Milsurps.Com
    Posts
    All Threads
    Expert gunsmithing, marksmanship training and equipment for Police, Military and Security personnel as well as for competition marksmen and hunters. Over 30 years of experience and expertise go into every Criterion barrel. This experience combined with gun barrel quality steels, our stringent inspections at every process, and Criterion employees' commitment to quality make a Criterion barrel the best choice for your next barrel. Brian Dick ... BDL Ltd. - Specializing in British and Commonwealth weapons Chuck in Denver ... Buy-Sell-Trade .. Guns, Cars Motorcycles Service Publications - Collectors books that earn their place in your library! Your source for the finest in High Power Competition Gear. Canadian Import and Export Services (Click banner ad for more information) Here at T-bones Shipwrighting we specialise in vintage service rifle: re-barrelling, bedding, repairs, modifications and accurizing. We also provide importation services for firearms, parts and weapons, for both private or commercial businesses.
     

  3. #2
    Member irishsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    12-12-2009 @ 10:38 PM
    Posts
    78
    Local Date
    08-30-2016
    Local Time
    11:14 PM
    Bidding war perhaps.Since reproduction m84 scopes made in china are going for 400 bucks im not surprised this original A5 was up there.If you had a correct 1903 sniper with out a scope this scope could very well double the value by finishing it.

  4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
  5. #3
    Advisory Panel Jim Tarleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    01-29-2016 @ 06:49 PM
    Location
    Burgaw Swamp, North Carolina
    Posts
    884
    Local Date
    08-30-2016
    Local Time
    11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by irishsteve View Post
    Bidding war perhaps.Since reproduction m84 scopes made in china are going for 400 bucks im not surprised this original A5 was up there.If you had a correct 1903 sniper with out a scope this scope could very well double the value by finishing it.
    I know of no USMC sniper rifle with a scope like that one. USMC target rifles yes, but the sniper scopes - NO!

    Someone got carried away. Note the seller never says it is a USMC sniper scope, but someone evidently thought it was. Those are what is known as "Marine Mounts", but the WWI USMC sniper scopes had significant modifications to the mounts not present on this scope.

    Maybe someone just wanted a scope and had a lot of spare cash.

    Jim

  6. #4
    Deceased February 18th, 2014 Michael Petrov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    02-03-2014 @ 04:30 PM
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    153
    Local Date
    08-30-2016
    Local Time
    07:14 PM
    Thread Starter
    [QUOTE=Jim Tarletonicon;Those are what is known as "Marine Mounts", Jim[/QUOTE]

    Around here I call them Mann-Niedner mounts. Niedner mounted many a varmint or target rifle with these mounts that had nothing to do with the military.

  7. #5
    Advisory Panel Jim Tarleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    01-29-2016 @ 06:49 PM
    Location
    Burgaw Swamp, North Carolina
    Posts
    884
    Local Date
    08-30-2016
    Local Time
    11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Petrov View Post
    Around here I call them Mann-Niedner mounts. Niedner mounted many a varmint or target rifle with these mounts that had nothing to do with the military.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I derive the name "Marine Mount" from the drawing in Brophy's book, which is techically correct. The term "Marine Mount" does not refer to the mounts made by Niedner in 1917 at the behest of the Corps. I think the picture is at the top of page 507 in Brophy, but I am going by memory. I believe Niedner, and I think you do too, was making these same Winchester #2 mount alterations prior to WWI for Marine shooters (and others). I suspect that is why Niedner was selected to mount the 150 modified scopes for the Marines. The Corps certainly didn't just pick Niedner's name out of the Malden Yellowpages.

    After WWI, the Marines did not need any more sniper rifles - period. When WWII loomed ahead, the Marines decided to upgrade their A5 sniper rifles in the 1939-40 period. I defy anyone to show me an authenticate Marine Sniper rifle made/constructed between WWI and 1939. Better yet, give me a valid reason why they would need one.

    Jim

  8. #6
    Advisory Panel John Beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last On
    07-14-2016 @ 03:49 PM
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    901
    Local Date
    08-30-2016
    Local Time
    11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tarletonicon View Post

    After WWI, the Marines did not need any more sniper rifles - period. When WWII loomed ahead, the Marines decided to upgrade their A5 sniper rifles in the 1939-40 period. I defy anyone to show me an authenticate Marine Sniper rifle made/constructed between WWI and 1939. Better yet, give me a valid reason why they would need one.

    Jim
    SA S/N 1330600 was drilled and tapped by the USMC for Mann-Neidner mounts. And it was definitely made/constructed between WWI and 1939!

    I'll let you explain why the USMC needed it. I just call 'em like I see 'em.

    J.B.

  9. #7
    Advisory Panel John Beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last On
    07-14-2016 @ 03:49 PM
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    901
    Local Date
    08-30-2016
    Local Time
    11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Petrov View Post
    I was asked to look at this auction, now over, and for the life of me I have no idea why it sold for so much. Any ideas?

    Winchester A5 scope 1903 Springfield Mann-Neidner - eBay (item 130296073119 end time Mar-29-09 20:30:10 PDT)
    When one considers that a USMC Unertl scope sells for around $4,000, the Winchester A5 looks very reasonable.

    J.B.

  10. #8
    Advisory Panel Jim Tarleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    01-29-2016 @ 06:49 PM
    Location
    Burgaw Swamp, North Carolina
    Posts
    884
    Local Date
    08-30-2016
    Local Time
    11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by John Beardicon View Post
    SA S/N 1330600 was drilled and tapped by the USMC for Mann-Neidner mounts. And it was definitely made/constructed between WWI and 1939!

    I'll let you explain why the USMC needed it. I just call 'em like I see 'em.

    J.B.
    Considering the SN range, I would suspect a Navy or Marine match rifle versus a sniper rifle. Is there any reason to think this rifle was a sniper rifle versus a match rifle?

    Jim

  11. #9
    Senior Member Herschel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 09:34 PM
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    171
    Local Date
    08-30-2016
    Local Time
    11:14 PM
    Michael, The price looks high to me. The only thing I can figure is that there were two bidders that were determined to get it.

  12. #10
    Senior Member Loy Hamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    05-06-2010 @ 07:54 PM
    Location
    God's Country, Arkansas
    Posts
    138
    Local Date
    08-30-2016
    Local Time
    11:14 PM

    Here's a recent "USMC" sniper scope sale on ePay


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Want to buy-sell-or trade ?
    By Bob Loughlin in forum M1/M2 Carbine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-14-2009, 05:15 PM
  2. Buy and sell forum?
    By nelly in forum Q&A - MILSURPS.COM
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-16-2007, 09:05 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts