+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1860 Spencer carbine question

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

1860 Spencer carbine question

I have a Civil War 1860 Spencer carbine in my collection and have a question regarding the lever. My example has the tail of the lever about 3/8" away from the stock when the action is closed. Most photos show the lever touching the stock although I have seen a few photos that show the gap. There is no evidence that the lever has been bent. Is this a normal manufacturing variation? Any information from the Spencer gurus would be welcome!

Legacy Member
    Last On
    @
    Woodsy:
    I am far from an expert but I own an 1860 Spencer carbine. The lever on mine snaps closed completely against the stock. When yours closes leaving a 3/8 inch gap, does the block rise up so that it is even with the top of the receiver? That might tell you if it's a problem with the block mechanism or just an issue with the lever.
    Mike in E Tenn.

Hi Mike. My carbine is in good working order, breech block comes right up, etc. but it has the gap. It is in the 50,000 range and I was wondering if the gap was common to guns in this serial number range. It doesn't bother me as I am happy with my carbine, but it is just that wee bit different to those normally seen. I have attached some photos.
    Cheers, Rod.

I had a military rifle some years back and it didn't have the gap. I don't know what serial number range it was...it too was well used as I guess goes with the age and time in history.

On the other hand, Joe Salter has one that shows that very gap... 1865 Spencer Rifle Canadian Issue
    Regards, Jim

Legacy Member
    Last On
    @
    It's interesting that browningautorifle.s link is a Spencer rifle, not a carbine. Apparently the gap is a common characteristic. I suggest looking at the Spencer Shooting Society site. There is a ton of information there and they have experts who can probably shed some light on your question. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Any information from the Spencer gurus would be welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike181 View Post
    It's interesting that browningautorifle.s link is a Spencer rifle, not a carbine.
    He DID say ANY information would be welcome.
    Regards, Jim

All information is welcome, and as my enquiry was related to the action which is common to both rifle and carbine, most useful. I just checked the Spencer Shooting Society site but never found a post relevant to my question, but lots of other good info, thanks.

+ Reply to Thread