+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FTR No4

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

FTR No4

Hi all.
    A friend of mine who's a gunsmith recently took in a No4 and he's asked me to identify a couple of stamps on the receiver wall.
    The first is the letters FTRM, but the letters are arranged as FMR, with the T slightly above, and intruding into the "v" of the M. I'm guessing this is a Maltby FTR mark?
    The second is a circle with A over 19 inside it.
    I seem to remember that the circle mark is unique to Maltby rifles, or is my memory playing tricks on me?
    If the circle is unique to Maltby, would it have been applied during/after the FTR, or would the rifle originally have been manufactured at Maltby?
    Thanks in advance.

This is a 1942 Dated Maltby I had in earlier this year with a Maltby FTR marking.

I don't recall seeing Maltby FTR markings on BSA, Long Branch or Savage No4 Rifles

Attachment 119685Attachment 119684
    Regards Simon

I wonder if the Maltby FTR marking is used in a slightly different context, perhaps rectification of early receivers that needed work to bring them up to spec?

Maltby did have some totally understandable quality issues as they got production underway.

The 1942 date on Simons, could have been an early receiver that failed inspection, put aside and rectified (stamped FMR), to rejoin the production line as it massively ramped up in 1942.

I would love one marked that way, sucker for a Maltby....

Quote Originally Posted by mrclark303 View Post
    I wonder if the Maltby FTR marking is used in a slightly different context, perhaps rectification of early receivers that needed work to bring them up to spec?

Maltby did have some totally understandable quality issues as they got production underway.

The 1942 date on Simons, could have been an early receiver that failed inspection, put aside and rectified (stamped FMR), to rejoin the production line as it massively ramped up in 1942.

I would love one marked that way, sucker for a Maltby....

That was my assumption, but have no evidence to back it up

Has anyone see Maltby FTR Markings on any other makers actions
    Regards Simon

Legacy Member
    Last On
    @
    Yes on a Fazakerley.

Tomorrow, I hope, I will be able to post a couple of pics.

Best regards.
    Giancarlo

Legacy Member
    Last On
    @
    Pics of the Fazakerley.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon P View Post
    That was my assumption, but have no evidence to back it up

Has anyone see Maltby FTR Markings on any other makers actions
    I have/had a (1944?) Long Branch which has FmTR markings.
    Dated 1945 IIRC. I will try to dig it up.

Hopefully I didn't sell it.
    Last edited by Lee Enfield; 09-01-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Very interesting, looks like our theory is wrong Simon ....

I've had over 500 No4s in the past few years, in real terms only a small sample of what's out there, thanks all for sharing as it continues to expand our knowledge & research
    Regards Simon

Here is a photo of the 1943 Long Branch FTR'd at Maltby.

My understanding is that Maltby shut down by 1946? so there was a very narrow window when this could have been done. Notice the typical Maltby inspection circles, there is another on the angular flat, and a C^ Canadian Property marking on the top of the receiver ring.

Attachment 119858
    Attachment 119860
    Last edited by Lee Enfield; 09-01-2021 at 12:07 PM.
    BSN from the Republic of Alberta

http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast