Advisory Panel

Last On
    06-09-2023 @ 04:20 AM
    Local Date
    04-16-2024
    Local Time
    07:31 AM

Question .264" Carcano barrel?

During my recent ammo tests, I drug out a "Bubba'd" Carcano that was purchased for parts. Old hex shank barreled rifle that looks to have been shortened and had some kind of Mauser front sight band installed. Bore condition looked good, so off to range it goes.

Fired some Prvi Partisan ammo w/o dramas (just function tests, no accuracy work) so moved onto the Hornady factory load. First round into the chamber won't go, even w/ a bump or two, so I try to extract the round. No dice! Pop the bolt handle hard and out comes the case along w/ loose powder flying about, no bullet! End of test for this rifle.

Get home, knock out bullet. It shows heavy rifling marks on its nose along w/ a lot of scratches from the crimped case neck both forward and aft of the bullet cannelure.

Check groove dia of bore- 0.264-0.265"! It has even width EIGHT lands and grooves (EACH). Doesn't appear to be gain twist rifling.

The barrel seems to have been inserted into the old barrel shank and indifferently chambered as the fired Prvi cases swelled more in the body area than any of the other Carcanos fired that day.

So, finally, my question- Is anyone familiar with the rifling described above? I suspect the barrel may have been robbed from something else, but what? Its been in this rifle a good long time.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by jmoore; 09-24-2009 at 01:48 AM.