Hybrid View

Last On
    09-25-2022 @ 09:07 PM
    Local Date
    04-23-2024
    Local Time
    09:38 AM

Thumbs up They Fought Alone

They Fought Alone by Keats - This is a fascinating read about the American and Filipino guerrilla efforts on Mindanao during WW2 led by Col Wendell Fertig. Anyone interested in Special Warfare or unconventional histories about WW2 will find this book very interesting. My copy is dated 1963 but I understand there was a later edition copyrighted 1990. I highly recommend this book. Col Wendell Fertig was a true American and Filipino hero and unfortunately, history has all but forgotten his efforts.

The Wikipedia article on Fertig is quite good if you are interested.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to kragluver For This Useful Post:

Last On
    04-06-2023 @ 10:33 PM
    Local Date
    04-23-2024
    Local Time
    07:38 AM

Thumbs up They Fought Alone

Thank you for the info on Wendell Fertig.

"Col Wendell Fertig was a true American and Filipino hero and unfortunately, history has all but forgotten his efforts."

From WEB Griffins end note in "Behind The Lines".......He states the following;
    Although Fertig had commanded more men in combat than does a major general commanding a division, the Army never saw fit to promote him, even in the reserve, beyond a full colonel."

And you are correct, the Wikipedia story does tell a lot more of the truth of this magnificent campaign against the Japaneseicon that tied up a large number of troops ......."Throughout the entire Philippines, guerrillas managed to tie down a Japanese army of 288,000 troops" (Wiki)
    AZB
    Last edited by ArizonaBeagle; 07-24-2010 at 12:02 AM. Reason: I went and read the Wiki story......

4. Thank You to ArizonaBeagle For This Useful Post:

5. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    Local Date
    04-23-2024
    Local Time
    The Wikipedia sight said that a movie was in consideration. If done correctly (big what if!!!) - what a fantastic movie it would make! In reading the book, some of the fighting between "Fertig's Navy" and Japaneseicon launches is simply incredible - stuff that couldn't be made up in Hollywood - an 18th century sailing ship commanded by a Germanicon expatriate under Fertig's command armed with .50-cal MGs and 20mm cannon trading shots with armored Jap launches - great stuff!

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    12-16-2012 @ 04:53 PM
    Local Date
    04-23-2024
    Local Time
    an 18th century sailing ship commanded by a Germanicon expatriate under Fertig's command armed with .50-cal MGs and 20mm cannon trading shots with armored Jap launches
    I'll be getting my hands on that! Sounds like something Donald Kennedy would have done out of Segi.

(Book & Video Review Corner)
    Last On
    10-16-2015 @ 06:37 PM
    Local Date
    04-23-2024
    Local Time
    07:38 AM
    Great find here!!
    So I can't spell, so what!!!
    Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
    Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!
    Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Last On
    Local Date
    04-23-2024
    Local Time
    I finished reading the book yesterday. Fertig and his men really got a raw deal - almost no recognition for their actions. Fertig was never promoted above Col (he commanded the equivalent of a division). He did receive a DSC from MacArthur. One website stated that it may not have been so much that MacArthur was trying to minimize Fertig's actions, but more like back-biting by MacArthur's staff officers - one Courtney Willouby (sp??) in particular. Fertig did become somewhat of an icon for the Spec Warfare guys in the 1950s and 1960s. Frankly, you have to wonder if the VietCong didn't read this book in the early 1960s!

10. Thank You to kragluver For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Today @ 09:34 AM
    Real Name
    Robert Seccombe
    Local Date
    04-23-2024
    Local Time

Major General Willoughby

Major General Willoughby 1892 -1972, born in Heidelberg Germanyicon and entered the US Army in 1910 as a Private. Became an officer at the start of WW1, changed his name from Adolph Weidenbach to Willoughby sometime in the early 1920's. Interesting background.

12. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to RCS For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread