Real Name
    Doug
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    04:35 PM
    My Videos in Video Club

Article: 1971 L42A1 Enfield Sniper Rifle

You can view the page at https://www.milsurps.com/content.php...d-Sniper-Rifle
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    03-13-2022 @ 08:09 PM
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    09:35 AM
    Hi all from NZicon

My L42A1 dated 74 on the action and stamped CR1470 ED 74 and FB358 (batch number) on the barrel has Chordal Rifling. All numbers and stamps for the rifle and scope match which would indicate that chordal rifled barrels were fitted to at least some of the pre 1980 batch L42's. Another collector in Christchurch has an Enfield converted No4 sporter with very similar stamps on its chordal barrel - CR 1470 ED72 FB 351. It would be very helpful if L42A1 and Envoy owners checked out the stamps on their barrels and posted the order number, date, metal batch number and action date on this forum so that we could all get a clearer picture of when and how many of the later batch L42's had chordal barrels fitted.

Happy to post some pictures of my L42A1 if you want.
    Regards

Graeme

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Administrator

Site Owner
    Last On
    @
    Real Name
    Doug
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    04:35 PM
    My Videos in Video Club
    Quote Originally Posted by broadarrow303 View Post
    Happy to post some pictures of my L42A1 if you want.
    Regards

Graeme
    Hi Graeme ..

We'd love to see pics of your 1974 L42A1 ...

Regards,
    Doug

Last On
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    Pics ..........

(Click PIC to Enlarge)(Click PIC to Enlarge)

(Click PIC to Enlarge)
    Last edited by Badger; 08-05-2011 at 07:52 AM.

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    06-30-2011 @ 01:12 PM
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    01:35 PM
    Hi Graeme, just joined and saw your pics and article- nice job on both! I've got an L42A1 that I'm trying to learn more about, and may try to sell in the near future. I've got sn 21795 on the scope as well as the stock (sn 28853 is struck through just above it, perhaps by the armorer when this was converted?) on the left side of the receiver is stamped L42A1D71. Interesting note: just barely visible on the left side of the band above trigger/guard is M473 (maybe M475) 1943 (maybe 1945, like i said, its faint and 34250. There's also a TR stamped just below that. I was a little worried the bolt wasn't original because it didn't match either number stamped on the wood stock, until I took a peek at this attatchment band and saw that it matched the bolt sn 34250. Haven't taken the forestock off yet to check any barrel markings because I don't know how to do it. Any tips you can forward as to its removal, and I'll try my hand at taking it off. I've been shooting this for years now, and am thinking I might try to sell/swap it for an M1C to replace the one I had stolen years ago. In any case, any information you or anyone else has as to what all the markings mean and what it might be worth would be appreciated. Cheers, Greg

Last On
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    Hi Greg.

Sorry for taking so long to reply to your questions. I saw your response on a side bar of Milsurps just a few days ago.

Your L42A1 was converted from a No4 MkI (T). Check out my article on Milsurps called 'From No4 MkI (T) to L42 A1' Milsurps - From No4 Mk I (T) to L42 AI - Part 1 (by Graeme 'broadarrow303' Barber)

to find out more about the BSA Shirley produced No4's that were selected for conversion in to snipers rifles by Holland and Holland. I think you will find that the rifle you have was produced at BSA Shirley in 1944. The M47C stamp that might look like M473 or 5 is the war time Code for this factory. Also all No 4 rifles manufactured at BSA in 1944 were in the 30xxx range prefixed by one of the following letters of the alphabet- A,C,F,H,L,M,N,P,Q,R

Have a closer look at the left side of the butt socket, action or scope mount leg to see if you can see it. As the actions were often machined and refinished and fitted with new furniture some of the No4 (T) marks may be faint.

With one scope number being replaced with the one that matches you scope this may have been done by an armourer or by someone wanting to return your rifle to sniper configuration. If the number fonts are the same and or the scope number for the first scope is on the leg of the mount this would indicate a stronger chance of the former rather than the latter.

Regards
    Graeme

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    03-20-2024 @ 06:05 AM
    Real Name
    Roger Payne
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    08:35 PM
    Hi Graeme,
    I have also seen 1944 BSA rifles with no letter prefix, & with the following letters in addition to the ones you list above: E,G,K. Further, production in the 'R' prefix range seems to have been right at New Year 1944/45, as I have owned/seen some examples that were 44 dated, & some that were 45 dated.

Only a minor point, but worth mentioning.

Best,

Roger.

+ Reply to Thread