NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    02-01-2012 @ 01:25 AM
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    08:03 AM

Installing new rear and front sight on an Israeli 308 barrel

I am not getting many responses when I posted in the Restorers forum. I thought I would ask the questions here.

Restoreing a Mauser Standard action with an Israeli 308 K98icon barrel and beech stock?
    I need some knowledgeable help and direction. Is this a good plan or should I do something different?

Several years ago I picked up a Mauser Standard action (Mauser Logo) in VG condition. The bolt SN is non matching. The bolt may be a DWM bolt in VG condition. The bolt fits perfectly (Not too loose or wobbly) and is very smooth in operation..

I also have a brand new, in the white, Israeli K98, 308 barrel. I traded for a new Israeli K98 beech stock/guard. I purchased a complete new, Israeli rear sight and front sight set. I plan to use a German K98 bayonette lug/pin, a rear/front band with an Israeli band spring. I now have all the parts to make up a rifle.

I have checked with the local gunsmith and he is not interested in soldering on the rear and front site. He will install and headspace the barrel.

I need to find a gunsmith to install/headspace the barrel and is familiar with the soldering of the sights. Any one know of an experienced Mauser gunsmith capable of doing the work to original Mauser specs?

I also had the thought of using JB Weld or some other recommended epoxy, to install the sights myself. Has anyone used a high tensil, heat resistant epoxy to weld the sight bases, instead of using solder? I plan to epoxy coat the weapon in a gunmetal blue that Brownell's sells.

I would prefer to use all German parts for the restore, but this is what I have now.

I have tried to locate a excellant condition, walnut or laminated K98 stock for the project, but the ones I have considered, I felt the sellers wanted to much money for them. I do not think the rifle I want put together will ever be collectable, I am building a shooter. I may add a scope later if the completed rifle shoots well enough. I have a Swarovski Optic ZFM 6X42 (26mm tube) with a post reticule that would look great on the rifle.

Thanks for your help. Doug Rosso
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    10-01-2023 @ 12:52 AM
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    11:03 AM
    Chuckindenver is the right for the job. He can do any or all of this project.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
+ Reply to Thread