Hello,

Had a good day at the local gunshow today. I found a guy with a couple of reasonably priced Type 14 Nambu's in 8mm Nambu cal. I chose the lesser of the two because I'm cheap but I think its still nice. Its all numbers matching, except the clip. The clip's serial number is 11 digits off from the rest of the pistol, though this is likely just coincedence. It was made in August of 1943 at the Toriimatsu Branch of Nagoya Arsenal according to the stampings. This is my first Nambu so I am by no means an expert. I was disappointed to see that the firing pin is missing when I got home so I will need to get one. Ill try going back to the dealer tomorrow but I doubt I will get one. The grips have been varnished but that is easily removed. The bolt will not hold open when the gun is empty. I believe this to be a magazine issue because the mag spring is very weak and is not pushing the follower up far enough to catch the bolt. All springs in the gun seem to be weak but replacement kits are avaliable for $20.00 and I will probably get one. The most disappointing part is the fact that the spring that holds tthe bottom of the magazine is broken. It is rivited in and would be hard to replace without damage. Please offer any additional info that you may have. My assessment below:

The Good:

ITS A NAMBU!!!
Its in good shape
All numbers match
Good Bore
Got it at a good price

The Bad:

Grips are Varnished
All springs are weak
Magazine does not match
No firing pin
Ammo costs
Bottom clip spring is broken (total bummer)

What I would like to have:

Holster
Cleaning Rod
Loaded Ammo or Brass and dies
Spare Clip
More info on the gun

Does anyone know what the square cut in the frame next to the lanyard loop is for? It is pictured in picture #5. I plan to give the gun a good cleaning and replace needed parts. I always seem to buy guns that need some work but I enjoy it. If you have or know someone that does have a firing pin, please let me know. I would also be interested in the other wanted items I have listed. Thanks and all comments welcomed!!

mdrim13
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.