05-23-2023 @ 08:47 PM
    Real Name
    Gorbitz
    Local Date
    03-19-2024
    Local Time
    01:33 AM

Starting a STEN Mk V SBR in the US

I took my ATF Form1 to the Sheriff Office for signature and he signed right off, having done several of these in the county where I reside. When I went in to pick up the forms, I met him and he said, "Come with me, I have something to show you! He unlocked the County Arms Room, and in the rack were two Thompson SMGs with about 99% original finish. One was a nice war-time M1Aicon and the other an extremely rare M1921 model. I had never seen that one before so it was a treat to see it. I have to say it's nice living in a county where the 2nd Amendment Rights are well respected. My ATF Forms go out today for the 8-month wait. I can do all of the work up to purchasing a 7.75" barrel. I will save that part of the build until I get the approval.

I received my STEN Mk V parts kit from Apex guns. Overall I was pleased with the parts kit. The torch cut of the receiver tube was done with the re-builder in mind. There was no damage done to other components, and I am pleased that I will be able to detach the trigger housing from the cut tube and reuse it. It has a few nice ordnance markings on it, and it will save me a few bucks. I was curious about the finish as it was done with the semi-gloss black finish over a dark parkerization.

Upon review of Ian Skennertonicon's book on the STEN, I found out a few interesting notes:

1. The STEN MK V was finished with a dark grey rustproof phosphate and was over painted black. This finish proved to be very durable. I plan on following this method when I refinish the gun.

2. The Magazine housings were marked with STEN Mk V during the war, and after 1945 the roman V was replaced with a 5. My Mag housing above is clearly a post-war version. The SN on the one I received with my kitis marked RTL VS 43XXX STEN Mk V M/78. According to another website, that places the manufacture well before June 1944.

I was lucky enough to find 5 original ww2 marked, non-modified (pinned to reduce number of rounds loaded to 30) with markings such as L.B. (Line Brothers), M68 (Line Brothers again) and M69 (London Sand Blast). STEN parts were made all over the entire country.

I will be able to use most of the parts from the kit. The barrel shroud, trigger housing, wood furniture and fittings, magazine housing, front sight and some of the components.

I will need to purchase a few parts from Indianapolis Ordnance to get the gun running and legal. They sell a Mk III/V kit which is ATF approved and incorporates a smaller diameter bolt that fits in their tube and fires from a closed bolt. Their tube has a smaller inner diameter to accept the bolt, but you cannot put an original FA bolt in their tube. I am not sure which of the trigger components will be able to be used. With my parts kit and their new 4130 steel components i will have a STEN Mk V that looks about 99% the same as the original and is legal. I plan on matching the finish with a bit of wear so as to display the gun with the 17th Airborne Division Recon patrol display. I'll post progress as I move along. When finished, not only will the gun display nice, I can take it out and pound a few metal plates and paper Nazis with it.

Next I will have to research and determine how to mill the tube blank and remove the old cut tube from the kit so as to do no damage to the trigger housing.

Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    02-23-2024 @ 02:42 PM
    Local Date
    03-19-2024
    Local Time
    03:33 AM
    Peter Laidlericon's book "The Sten Machine Carbine" is the best book on the subject. It'll help with your project as well. Brian Dickicon at BDLicon Ltd. shows the book on his website.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    Real Name
    Gorbitz
    Local Date
    03-19-2024
    Local Time
    Thanks very much!

I've been looking at that book. I'll check the site. Copies are getting expensive. I hear it has everything on the various parts makers and codes and serial numbers. I am very interested in that sort of aspect of the project as the kit has several parts with different numbers to which I can find no references. I am familiar with the S/N/M and numbers and standard FY and LB etc, but there are just too many codes to decipher. Will the book cover all of that?

oz
    Last edited by 17thairborne; 02-06-2014 at 12:19 AM.

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    03-17-2024 @ 02:10 PM
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire. The home of MG Cars
    Real Name
    Peter Laidler
    Local Date
    03-19-2024
    Local Time
    10:33 AM
    In short, the book covers EVERYTHING you are likely to need and know except the SBR part of the question. The author is a thoroughly nice bloke and if I were to advise you, I'd say buy TWO books. One to keep on the workbench that'll get mucky and dirty and the other to sit down in the evening with, with a large glass of scotch, put the wife and kids to bed and have a good read.

If you think the book is expensive, just wait to see what happens when they are out of print/stock. If the little Sterling sub machine gun book is anything to go by, they have hit sky high prices.........

But a word of warning if your gun is going to be a show queen........ Fazakerley and Theale (the RTL mark) were manufacturers of parts and assemblers but they didn't make ALL of the parts. The parts were made elsewhere and shipped in to 5 (for the Mk2) major assembly plants. That means you won't get a gun with all F or all RTL parts. And yes, the book will identify the manufacturers of the parts too

6. Thank You to Peter Laidler For This Useful Post:

Last On
    03-11-2024 @ 09:37 AM
    Local Date
    03-19-2024
    Local Time
    03:33 AM
    I look forward to further posts of your build. I've got a similar kit and would like to do the same when time and funds allow.
    From what I hear now, your 8 month wait is now 12-14.

8. Thank You to limpetmine For This Useful Post:

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    Real Name
    Peter Laidler
    Local Date
    03-19-2024
    Local Time
    I echo L-M's sentiments. Keep us informed. What about writing it all up complete with photos and publishing it in a self published booklet. I'm sure it'll be a good seller

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    Real Name
    Gorbitz
    Local Date
    03-19-2024
    Local Time
    Peter,

Thanks for the comments and I do realize what you mean about book prices. I have a few tons of books on all subjects WW2 and I always have to take a step back before buying one. Tell you what, I'll buy your book, and you buy my book...Deal?

Castraponere Publishing

My book is about the history of the 139th Airborne Engineer Battalion (17th Airborne Division). While interviewing a veteran I found that the engineers liked the STEN and traded on occasion with the Britishicon paras they met on the LZ near Wesel. I have a great photo of one of them on a jeep with a STEN just after a patrol. That is what started my interest in the STEN and I will build one for my 139th AEB display.

On another note, I usually don't mind dog eared pages and grease, so I'll use one for building and one for reading!!

As far as RLT, I have already seen various makers on the STEN parts I have. M78, RTL, L68, S179, N20 CB, DPA and P66 on the stock, etc. Its a fascinating part of the research during the build.

Again, thanks for the input. I hope to post the progress on the build.

oz

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Received a few nice ww2 STEN Magazines yesterday. These are in average condition in terms of wear to the finish and are full of cosmolineicon, which is good, but I selected them for the differing manufacture stamps. There are three types shown in the middle laying flat.

1. L.B. For Line Brothers

2. S68: Code for Line Brothers

3. unknown symbol/letters in a diamond. Looking for comments on this one. It is also blued in stead of phosphate finished

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by limpetmine View Post
    I look forward to further posts of your build. I've got a similar kit and would like to do the same when time and funds allow.
    From what I hear now, your 8 month wait is now 12-14.
    12-14 months wait....Oh crud! I spoke with the local ATF and he said 8 months. We'll see how long it takes, but that gives me plenty of time to read peter's book (like 10 times over).[COLOR="black"]

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    Real Name
    Gorbitz
    Local Date
    03-19-2024
    Local Time

Note the STEN, looks like a MkV.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    Real Name
    Gorbitz
    Local Date
    03-19-2024
    Local Time
    Okay Peter,

I just ordered a copy of your book. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    Real Name
    Peter Laidler
    Local Date
    03-19-2024
    Local Time
    It sounds like a good swop 17th (book for book, thread 7) but having done the Army thing for real on and off since I started out as an apprentice in 1963 - and been a paratrooper to boot (it was become airborne or go to Aden) -, the novelty has worn off now.

But please keep us informed of your progress.

Just as a matter of interest........... What is there to stop you from making/cutting a new tube and having a REAL rock and roller if you kept it to yourself, safe and disn't abuse it in any way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast