04-09-2023 @ 08:59 PM
    Real Name
    Rick Slater
    Local Date
    03-29-2024
    Local Time
    01:50 AM

Firearms photography

(I don't know if I ran this on the old CSPicon forum or not. In view of the fact that there has been a lot of discussion about posting pictures, I thought I'd post (or maybe "repost") these hints on firearms photography. I will never be mistaken for Ansel Adams, but I've gotten where I can take useful pictures. Feel free to chime in with your own hints. --RtL)

Although it can be hard to take "archival" firearms pictures, it isn't hard to take usable ones. If you follow a few simple rules, you can greatly improve the quality of your pictures.

1) Make friends with your camera software's photo editing program. I know it can be a hassle, but it will pay big dividends. My program has a "quick fix" feature that often drastically improves the picture quality. The cropping feature I use a LOT!

2) Edit out all extra detail. Note the top picture taken of one of my M1903s. How many of you have seen these pictures with, not only a lot of extra "background" but even the photographer's feet in the picture! (I've even seen pictures with the photographer's BARE feet - and sometimes they WEREN'T clean!!). Your photo program should have a cropping feature. Compare the top photo with the bottom one - the exact same picture, just cropped. (I also used the editing program to get the lighting a little better)

3) The "if close is better, getting REAL close must be better still" - problem
    How many of you have seen rifles offered for sale with blurry, out of focus pictures, like the top one below. This is usually caused by the photographer trying to stick his camera right up close - beyond where it can clearly focus on the subject. Another secret - take a picture relatively far away at MAXIMUM resolution, so you know it will be in focus. Then, again, using the cropping feature, focus in on the details.

(picture taken farther away at maximum resoution)

(picture above cropped and light corrected to capture closeup of rear sight)

4) Lighting -- This is something I still haven't totally conquered, but I think I'm getting better. However, take pictures on a "high overcast" day, NOT in bright sunshine. Another suggestion is taking pictures in an area, outside or inside, with "light" shade. Avoid flash, if you can.

5) "Steady as she goes" - If your camera has a mount for a tripod, invest in one. You can sometimes find a cheap one for $20 or so. Another cheap alternative is the tabletop variety, which I've seen for $10 or more. Mount your camera on a tripod, and make use (if available) of the self timer.

There isn't that much difference in time and money between "snapshots" and near-archival pictures.

Good luck!!
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 06-02-2015 at 03:59 PM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

2. The Following 21 Members Say Thank You to Rick the Librarian For This Useful Post: