I picked this up last week, an 1897 M1891 Carcano rifle. I had missed out on a nicer one at nearly twice the price, but as we like to say, this one screams 'been there, done that.' I sold my 1944 M38/43 TS 8mm conversion to get this - it only lasted 14 minutes on Gunboards before it sold.

This is a well-used old warhorse still in its original long rifle configuration, and chambered in 6.5mm Carcano. This rifle was made at the Torre Annuzia Arsenal in 1897 with serial number VX791. This rifle was re-arsenaled, repaired, or rebuilt several times. The stock had been replaced at some point as its original serial number had four numbers. There are eight nice period splice and peg arsenal stock repairs at the toe, top of tang, front and lower band. I've since glued the long crack on the left side. There is an arsenal ‘star’ repair mark on stock and a re-arsenal symbol on the receiver. Bolt serial number ML3546 has been lined out. The barrel shows use but cleaned up well with strong rifling and only a little roughness. Carcano sling is an original I had from the T/S, I'm looking for an original long Carcano cleaning rod. Almost certainly saw service in both World Wars.

T
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.