+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Spencer Carbine

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Last On
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by I.H.1989 View Post
    How's the ammo for it, and what about recoil? also, what is a good price for them?
    Ammo is easy enough to find and from what I've seen starts at $25-$26/20rds for PRVI 405gr SP and goes up from there. Just keep in mind not all factory ammo is safe for use in TD's.
    I have a rifle and a carbine. The rifle is pleasant to shoot(to me anyway) but the carbine is rather stout. I shoot either Remington 405gr factory ammo or hand loads the duplicate it. Mostly hand loads anymore, the factory stuff is about $40 a box now.
    I haven't kept up with prices lately but first of the year I considered getting another TD but happened across a deal on a LE No.4 Mk.1* T I couldn't turn down instead. Average going price on Gunbroker for a TD rifle at that time was between $650-$850, depending on condition. Carbines were considerably more, around $1600-$1800 IIRC. Things may've changed by now, I don't know. The urge for another one has pretty much gone away now.
    Last edited by vintage hunter; 06-24-2016 at 11:03 PM.

Legacy Member
    Last On
    @
    I do own a repro Spencer carbine and do shoot it. It is in 56/50 cf. I would advise that this is an expensive round to shoot. Buying dies and a bullet mold can be a major task. However, that said, having the Spencer in any other caliber seems wrong. I would shoot rimifire but that is even a greater task to find and pay for. Good rifle but not a great one. The manual of arms requires cocking the hammer to halfcock before operating the lever and then to full cock to shoot. Work the lever too slow or too fast and a jam. I do love the gun, a real advance in firearms at the time but Winchester got it right (the Henry) faster. Glad to asnwer specific questions if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcomp View Post
    Glad to asnwer specific questions if you want.
    How about a short video next range day? Load, operate and fire...?
    Regards, Jim

Legacy Member
    Last On
    @
    I've been looking for Spencer Carbines, and I've seen people pull the hammer all the way back, move the lever, and then fire. Not sure if that is safe but I was interested in US military rifles of the Post-Civil War era.

If the Spencer is not that good of an idea, what would be a well priced lever-action rifle, and a sidearm to go along with it? I was thinking of the schofield, but only if i could find one for a decent price.
    Last edited by I.H.1989; 07-06-2016 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by browningautorifle View Post
    I had a pair of Sharps too, and have never seen more.
    I have handled one, a genuine article at that, belongs to someone you may well know.

PM inbound to play Hinterland's Who's Who...

... HWW, That is a bit of Canadiana that should have a number of our international members scratching their heads and seeking the google.
    - Darren
    1 PL West Nova Scotia Regiment 2000-2003
    1 BN Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry 2003-2013

Now I see what brought that on...
    Regards, Jim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2