I just finished with the 1903 Warner Swasey sniper project (real gun) and want to build a dummy 1895 Lee Navy to display with a full scale metal model of a SAW vintage Colt 1895 potato digger.
What I am starting with his an old receiver that I have had been using as a paperweight for many years, serial 5xxx, navy marked. Just picked up a rusted lower trigger/magazine housing and a rear sight and the screws to put together the upper and lower. Would like to find a barrel next but other parts might be good also. My goal is to bring these parts back to life for display purposes. I have had some success in building up a display collection (full scale models/parts kits/dummy guns) that I take to living history events for folks to handle. Some internal parts will not be used (although if something turns up I will install them, my goal though is external parts. A shot out corroded, cut, or even bent barrel would work fine.
Looking for a bolt but but I will be patient. I can mock up a barrel but it would be nice to find an original, even if damaged/shortened, stuff like that. In the end I will fabricate what I dont' have but the more I have to start will make for a better project. If anyone knows anyone that makes custom barrels that might actually make them for the Lee Navys I might look into that.
If I really wanted an 1895 Lee I could find one to build up (I actually had one once) but the idea and part of the hobby is to make stuff based on what I already have and keep the investment low. For example, I had a fire damaged Lebel with a heat bent barrel that was given to me and with the straightened barrel (mostly straight) and a repo forestock it went from a disaster to an ok wall hangar. Had a Chauchat stock, a few bits and pieces and made a darn nice dummy gun at the fraction of the cost even of a parts kit and its a crowd pleaser. These display guns are to help kids and adults who might never get a chance to heft the real thing (especially more scarce guns) and get a "taste" of history.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.