G’Day Folks,

I’d like to call on your collective knowledge to help me decipher some marks on my recently acquired No 4 Mk ½.

Attachment 82924[

As shown in the first photo, the conversion was made at Fazakerley in1956 as a FTR. In photo 2, the left side of the receiver butt socket shows it was built originally (as No 4 Mk 1) in 1942. Not sure whether that “B” indicates another factory and serial, or whether this was simply a Faz originally? Any ideas?

Attachment 82925

Photo 2 also has a couple of hard to identify marks, as shown. Any suggestions on what there are? Inspection or Armourer’s marks along the way?

Attachment 82926

Photo 3 is the nocks form, showing a double up of proof marks, I believe. These are GR (King George VI) so they seem to be pre-1952 when Queen Elizabeth was crowned, meaning the barrel was earlier than 1956 when the conversion was made The double struck proofs are confusing, is there a likelihood that two proof were carried out some time apart, or simply a second strike of the punch to make sure the barrel was marked? The overstrike of the “C” is not clear to me. Any suggestions on this one? I suppose the Number “1” is a factory inspectors mark?

Attachment 82927

Photo 4 shows the left side of the chamber reinforce. I’m thinking “H43” was an original factory inspector’s mark? The “45” and “47” I’m thinking are armourer’s inspection marks of those years. The “7” is confusing. Is this likely to be another factory or armourer’s inspection mark?

Attachment 82928

Photo 5 shows the right side of the chamber reinforce. The “F54” is a Fazakerley marking, I’m fairly confident, but it’s two years before the FTR and rebuild. Could this indicate an earlier receival and inspection date, prior to putting aside for future FTR work? The crowsfoot is understood as an acceptance into stores or Government service mark. The next confusing mark is this double arrowhead and C. Are we looking at Canadianicon service, or ownership or inspection here? Any advice will be most helpful here. The small 231PB or PS is a confusing mark, I can’t find any reference to this type of mark in research so far. The “SI 7” or “S17” on the barrel I am taking as another inspector’s mark. Any other clues on this?

Attachment 82929

Photo 6 shows the right side of the receiver butt socket, with three readily identifiable inspection marks. The two crown like marks in the middle are poorly struck and defined. I’m guessing they are crowns. Any comments or ideas on these marks?

Attachment 82930

Photo 7 is the Type 1 rear sight assembly. The slide and leaf are marked with F, which I take it indicates Fazakerley, and both have different codes. CR318 on the slide, CR403 on the leaf. I can’t find any correlation with particular makers from my research, so I’m thinking that post-war manufacture of these sights was done more or less in house, with the two numbers relating to batches or inspection points?

I realise many of these little details are probably individual inspectors’ codes and finding the list of who these people were, is a monumental task worthy of book in its self, that’s not the real aim. I’m keen to learn a little more about the history of this rifle’s life and hope that some of you may know a bit here or there to contribute to its story.

Many thanks for any and all info that you can afford.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.