NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    03-23-2024 @ 12:31 PM
    Local Date
    04-23-2024
    Local Time
    02:23 PM

Best Borescopes ?

Several years ago I had an old Enfield at an old-timer-gunsmith for some work. When I picked it up he let me look down its barrel through his bore scope. The detail to see inside the barrel was amazing through this optical device. Could see the sharp corners of the rifling and dirt in the lands. His borescope was a long rod with a magnifying lens/light at one end a viewing eyepiece at the other with the ability to focus near or far from the end of the scope. It also had a kind of a pistol handle to hold/maneuver. Said the thing cost around a thousand bucks years ago.

Recently I was paging around the internet looking at endoscopic borescopes with camera lenses and various means of viewing the image. For a moderate investment I think it would be worth:
    • knowing how clean the barrels truly are after cleaning
    • knowing the true bore conditions of all my guns
    • having a handy inspection tool to bring to gun shows or to a purchase/sale transaction.

I bought a cheapo little $20 rig which was basically a little lens and LED tipped wire that plugged straight into my smartphone.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+UVC+Function+

I didn’t have high expectations but it was a neat proof of concept. You could record pics and take video. While you could see the difference between a bright mirror clean and pitted bore it did not really show the detail I recall seeing through the old-timers optical bore scope. There has to be better out there for more money

The wife is hounding me for Christmas gift ideas and I thought this would be pretty cool. Not averse to spending a couple/few hundred bucks on a decent product. Anyone have any experience with what’s a good product out there? Maybe you can share some pictures you captured with it?

Preciate all comments.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by GS455; 12-03-2017 at 05:47 PM.