Hello Gents, it's been a long time, but I am back with an ID request.

First questions and then the story.

What pattern of helmet is this, and given the unusual markings, is it a valuable relic, or is it some fantasy piece suitable to be stripped and restored to issue green?

The story, for many years I wanted a bog standard WW2 Cdn pattern helmet for my collection, mainly a display piece. I managed to receive this one in trade around 1998 but it had no backstory from the owner, it was basically in an attic, barn, or basement and of no personal value to them.

It kicked around with my personal items and when I was posted to the Patricia's in 2003 it went missing. I had thought it might have left at my grandparents home where I had some things in storage, but recent searches turned up nothing.

I gave it up as lost, but when visiting my younger brother over Christmas I mentioned it in passing and he shot off to the basement and returned with it. It had been left behind when I moved and to prevent it being absconded by another family member and flea marketed off for a fiver, he took it.

He later joined the RCR and had been wearing it annually as part of their "Mufti Parade" tradition. As he has remustered to Postie, it is of no value to him and I am glad to have it again.

Now that I have it back and have milsurps as a knowledge base, I am curious to see what the members can observe about it.

The helmet is in good condition but the unusual colour and markings have always prevented me from repainting it back to standard condition due to fear of unwittingly ruining some unknown historical piece.

The light green paint is clearly brush applied, and the side emblems appear to feature a "King's Crown" a winged device and perhaps a Lightning Bolt between on a white back ground. The front of the helmet is hand lettered with "P2" in a grey-blue paint.

The stampings appear to read:

C.L./C. 1942

The chinstrap has the faint remainder of what could be a C broad arrow, but it could just be my eye filling in blanks. I don't see any other additional details or markings.

Photos are attached.

Thanks for giving it a look.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.