The only way you can guarantee the condition of the parts in question is to have them magnafluxed and xray'ed both of which will cost more than you want to spend. I had considered setting up a P1 top end on my pistol and even went as far as buying a slide but nearly everything is different between a P1 and a WWII era pistol. You can't just transfer over the majority of the slides working parts. It ends up that setting up a newer top end will cost 3/4's of the price of buying a complete P1 so why not buy another one to shoot? Because I can't afford it that's why! As far as the "risk" of breakage is concerned that's something that only the above tests can determine.

With proper care and light easy limited use you should be fine for occasional shooting. I use mine every 6 months and put between 40-50 rounds through it during a 4-5 hour session shooting slow and deliberately not rapid firing it. Double action sux with a long heavy trigger pull but in single action mode it's my most accurate 9mm and a ball to shoot. Excellent ergonomics with a very natural point and shoot configuration plus light recoil and good sights for it's day make it a joy to use. How much and how you use it are your choice but it can be used. The die-hards swear you'll burn for eternity in the lower region of the earth if you ever fire it even once but I'm more a shooter that a collector and use everything I own. - Bill