Went looking for a shooter grade 98k today..and I found one.
Now, I just got this one home, its an InterOrdnance import, pinged swastikas, Gustloff Werke coded (bcd 4) absolutely no finish left above wood.
Here is what is matching..front and rear barrel bands, receiver and barrel, even the stock..top and bottom (is this an actual Gustloff stock?)
Bolt is a mixture of Germanicon and Czechicon. But the really wacky thing is the anchor marked extractor!!
I know this is no collector piece by any means..its a shooter..but that anchor marked extractor is the damndest thing I've ever seen on any 98k part. What the heck is it? Did kriegsmarine '98s bear this mark? While I'm at it, where did all these worn finish 98ks come from? It isn't an RC, and doesn't have characteristics of 'Romanian' post war rifles..those, from what I understand, 'ping' the eagles as opposed to grinding them.
Again, I know this is no collector piece, have heard all the stories about the 'Buchenwald connection'...but that anchor mark is really interesting. Would love to hear some thoughts on it. Thanks for reading!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.