About 3 years ago I purchased a NM rifle on G.B. It looked ok and did have a SRS hit as having been in storage at Camp Perry in 1982. I latter found out that the rifle was a Army Team rifle obtained from the Army by CMPicon in 2007. I wrote to CMP for verification and received a letter indicating the rifle had been sold by CMP in July 2007 as a "M1icon Garand N.M. Type 2 Excellent". I then researched the SRS hit and found from a letter dated 27 Oct 1982 from the DCM to Mr. F.P. Mallory of SRS which stated that the DCM included with the letter a "list of serial numbers of NM M1 rifles on loan to organizations supported by the DCM or in storage at the National Match Support Detachment (NMSD) at Camp Perry Ohio."
There were 59 rifles on this list that were identified as being in storage at the NMSD, Camp Perry on 10/27/82 including the rifle I own.
My question is, when did the M1 rifle cease to be used at the National Matches and no longer issued as "loaners" to competitors ?
I am trying to figure out about when this rifle may have went from storage at Camp Perry back to the Army, maybe the AMU. And just why the AMU would have had this weapon until 2007, when it was transferred to the CMP for sale.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.