Today @ 10:38 PM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    07:41 PM

Dewat Bren

I have a gun here that will eventually be sold but first I need you to tell me exactly what you can about it. To me it looks like a Mk1 with a Mk2 barrel and a chest...don't know if it's an original or it's been built since by someone. It has two mags and a mount...don't know if that's original paint or not... It's here in Victoria BC with me and I can get other pics if you like...

I need to know if his price of $5000 CDN is outrageous for all that's here too. If so can you explain...

The gun is a cock and click, very smooth too. The slide is welded onto the receiver, the barrel appears pinned into the receiver too. Chamber is plugged and boltface is ground at an angle as old spec demanded. Nice clean example.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Regards, Jim

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    04-13-2024 @ 05:00 AM
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire. The home of MG Cars
    Real Name
    Peter Laidler
    Local Date
    04-20-2024
    Local Time
    03:41 AM
    Australianicon chest. Mk1m gun from Canadaicon. The Mk of a gun ALWAYS takes its mark type from the body regardless of whatever configuration it has UNLESS SO OTHERWISE ANNOTED according to the EMER. So a Mk2 gun with a folding cocking handle and engraved (or annoted) as such will officially be a Mk2/1. Mk1 and 2 barrels of every variety and manufacturer were fully interchangeable on the Mk2 guns. But............

I can and never could find any official sanction for Mk1 type barrels to appear on Mk2 guns. All it said was words to the effect '.........both barrels will be the same mark type.....'.

Best use for a tripod that I ever heard was to give them to someone you don't like to use as fishing weights

3. The Following 3 Members Say Thank You to Peter Laidler For This Useful Post:

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    04-07-2024 @ 11:10 AM
    Real Name
    Tim Rarick
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    Jim,
    Your post dredged up a very ancient memory. In November 1970 the McChord Squadron of the Washington Civil Air Patrol had been invited to Victoria by the Sea Cadets.
    While we were visiting I went into a gun store or Army surplus store downtown. There sitting on the shelf was a Dewat Bren Gun for $50.00 CDN. The receiver had been cut in two then rewelded together. I thought it would look good on my gun rack so I decided to buy it.
    The owner asked if I was from the States (must have been my accent) and then he said I would never get it through customs. That's when I found out that Washington State doesn't allow automatic weapons not even Dewats.
    Very disappointing for my beginning collection.

BEAR

6. Thank You to BEAR For This Useful Post:

Last On
    04-16-2024 @ 02:22 PM
    Local Date
    04-20-2024
    Local Time
    It looks like it’s a Lithgowicon FTRd Inglis Mk1m, I bet there are a lot of BA or MA stamps all over parts and probably an Aussie Mk3 bipod.

8. Thank You to Brit plumber For This Useful Post:

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    Thanks Peter, wish you and BP could lay hands on for a thorough look see... Thanks for the info.

Bear, I bet the guns store was one I frequented later...I didn't get there until 1974. There was only one surplus store though, still around but changed it's face now.

I'll pass on the info and look for details. I know more detailed pics would be better, have to see about another photo op. He didn't give me much time last go around.
    Regards, Jim

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    04-15-2024 @ 06:09 PM
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    10:41 PM
    Jim: At 5 K it is no bargain and I doubt if he will get that here in Canadaicon. Maybe if he holds on for a year or so and CS prices creep up a but now....hmmm.
    If you check the receiver over closely you MIGHT find a DEAC proof mark from the UKicon as early UK guns were very lightly done for DEAC.
    I'll see if I can dig out the DEAC proof mark but those more connected in the UK can probably do that in a flash.
    It looks like one of the ones that came in here via Kearns and McMurchie many years ago.
    The colours of the tripod and chest look familiar to a lot of kit they got out of the middle east and then routed through the UK.
    Marstar also brought in a **** load of CA's and I know many of those got neutered to DEAC by worried owners in 95 who could see the handwriting on the wall.
    If you want to drop me an email on the home addie we can discuss it further.
    What exactly has been done to deac it by the way???
    cheers,

Last On
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    via Kearns and McMurchie
    Yes, I remember them well...

drop me an email
    I will...and save time here.

At 5 K it is no bargain and I doubt if he will get that here in Canadaicon
    Agreed, suggested he break up the set. You should see the M1icon Thompson he has and wants $3000 CDN...I have my doubts there too.
    Regards, Jim

Last On
    Yesterday @ 08:25 PM
    Real Name
    Mr Clark
    Local Date
    04-20-2024
    Local Time
    If it was an old spec UKicon example it would have the BB face cut back, piston extension removed (generally cut off to prevent a replacement being fitted) the barrel slotted underneath and rodded and the chamber blind pinned.

The upper and lower recivers might have various weakening machining cuts made, for example a saw cut to the rear take down pin area was common.

The barrel would generally be pinned or welded in position. There was some variation in this work, but that was the general "old spec"

The receivers could however be disassembled,(with the exception of the barrel) with full cock and click and working selectors.

All parts would be stamped with either the Birmingham or London Proofhouse DA marks.

Only the new EU spec insisted on welded receivers, but this went hand in hand with welded bolt groups too, so sold actions.

The very early (and very desirable by collectors) pre 1988 spec deacs used to have removable deac barrels with few or no mods made to the receiver, just cut breech block and piston extension.

13. The Following 3 Members Say Thank You to mrclark303 For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by mrclark303 View Post
    If it was an old spec UKicon example
    I didn't know to check for much of what you suggest...but perhaps can soon. Doesn't really matter though. I don't think it's an old UK job. The BB face is at an angle and I could see the extractor cut underneath. Angle is about 30 degrees back towards the top rear. The slide is welded and can't strip. I didn't look at the piston extension specifically. I just think it's been around here for a few years...smooth and nice to handle.
    Regards, Jim

15. Thank You to browningautorifle For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    As a final note for this thread, the gun and mount and chest sold together a few weeks back for $3500CDN. Buyer was happy.

The M1icon Thompson, which was actually a hard case when you looked closely, sold for $2500CDN. That buyer was happy too, can't see why though. Should have showed you guys that one too.
    Regards, Jim

17. Thank You to browningautorifle For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread