Thread: Commercial CLLE finally makes it to the range.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    09-27-2022 @ 11:12 PM
    Local Date
    04-18-2024
    Local Time
    05:53 AM

Commercial CLLE finally makes it to the range.

I posted photos of this old rifle some time ago. Our old friend Beerhunter suggested that the various proof/ view marks indicate it was put in its final form sometime between 1904 and WW1. In short, it's an LSA MLE that was rebarreled at BSA and either then or later converted to charger loading. It came to me with a lot of active surface rust, a forend that no longer fit at the draws, and a ruined muzzle with dents and deep pits in the outer 3/4 inch of the bore (the rest near perfect). I originally bought it as a place-holder until I could find a Govt issue CLLE which happened recently. As the old one is quite sound mechanically I decided to do some work on it and get it shooting. It might raise some eyebrows, but I decided to take care of the muzzle with a counterbore. I basically just did one that is identical to Mosin counterbores as specified by Sovieticon instructions using a 23/64" bit with a jig that clamps the barreled action vertically and a decent pillar drill. The Finns loved counterbores and did them this way and even with hand powered drills. The forend I repaired with walnut patch, as I've learned to do courtesy of the information on this forum, and it now fits well with even bearing of both ends of the forend on the socket. At the range I struggled to zero it as the front sight element currently with it is much too tall. Final 7 shots (150 grn handloads) grouped as shown with 4 in just a bit over an inch. Very encouraging as I wasn't being particularly careful. Much to my delight the trigger pull is excellent, light and very crisp although, of course, single stage- maybe improved at some point for target work? I was also shooting a Finn M39 on this day and found the CLLE rear sight superior. I plan to get it back out soon after some filing on the front sight and am anxious to try some different handloads in it. Eventually I may try some target sights on it but, in any case, I'm thinking this could become one of my favorite range guns.

Ridolpho
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 7 Members Say Thank You to Ridolpho For This Useful Post: