Last On
    03-23-2022 @ 02:30 PM
    Local Date
    04-24-2024
    Local Time
    08:26 PM

Question R.E.L. Optics Questions

Hello there, this is my first post .

I have in mind a couple of projects for the future that involve snipers from World War Two and the Korean War.

Currently, I'm keen on Canadianicon snipers of those wars, and I found fascinating they got, perhaps, the best equipment a sniper could have (aside from the Finns and their SAKOs, which also were superb shooting tools).

I recently had the chance to ask some questions to Colin MacGregor Stevens, and the information I got from him was of great help and of my total interest for my projects .

However, there were some points he couldn't explain to me, most likely because not much light was thrown over them after those conflicts.

I know, for example, that R.E.L. (Research Enterprises Limited), developed the T.O.S. "C" Mk.I 25× single-draw telescope, in limited quantities (only 500, but it seems there were more). I also know that R.E.L. developed a variable power telescope of 10-20-30-40×, only in very small numbers, but the only source I heard this from, was Clive Law's Without Warning, and on this post: https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=18498&page=1 (it is a bit confusing since it lists of each when referring to this model, implying there were four, each for each power, which, to me at least, would be ilogical, since I don't find necessary they developed a lesser power telescope and another which already was the same power of the Britishicon Telescope Scout Regiment MK. IIs ).

Another not-so-clear matter was that of R.E.L.'s 20×72 experimental binoculars. Apparently, only 6 prototypes were made before the end of World War Two, and I don't know if further research was carried on. I must admit such a power for a pair of binoculars (I assume for sniping, artillery, but not naval duties) for that time leaves me impressed, and I wonder why not much is heard of them (I know binoculars of the same power and lens, but they're modern! ). If they were used in the Korean War (only if production or further testing went ahead) is unbeknownst to me, and if someone could tell us more about them, or at least list a source, I'd be grateful.

Finally, and perhaps the most fascinating part for me, are the scopes R.E.L. produced, the N°67 "C" Mk.I 3½× and the 5× (no nomenclature I'm aware of). The former could be considered, at least for me, as a step further for the N°32 Mk.II scope (they're not related, but you get the idea). It is a lighter and simpler scope, which was paired with a variation of the American Griffin & Howe side lever mount. In many pictures of Canadian snipers during the Korean War, you can notice they have a sunshade attached to them. What's intriguing, is that it seems to be made of a soft material. You can see it in the picture below:

https://i2.wp.com/captainstevens.com...fit=1700%2C726

However, the picture below shows a sunshade, but it seems to be made of a hard material (perhaps plastic): https://i2.wp.com/captainstevens.com...anada-1024.jpg

Courtesy for both images to Colin MacGregor Stevens (www.captainstevens.com www.captainstevens.com).

If someone could provide some information about these sunshades, be sure a doubt perhaps many have had, will be clear.

Finally, I wanna ask for information about the R.E.L. 5×. Little is known about it, and perhaps it is most known because it was declined by the British bureaucrats because it was too powerful (You get it right away). Jokes aside, if this scope wasn't still on developmentby the Canadians at the end of World War Two, a great chance was missed... Or perhaps not, and it went into limited production and porbably did see action on the Korean War (any information about this scope will be highly appreciated).

The only known photograph of this scope: https://i1.wp.com/captainstevens.com...scope-1024.jpg

Oh, and one missed part was if R.E.L. developed more periscopes for sniper/infantry use aside from the N°25 Mk.I (I'm there were more, but I need your help), and if R.E.L. did some experimenting with new reticles (taper post with crosswire seems to be the sole used).

That would be it, hope to read your replies .

And by the way.. Sorry my English, perhaps it may sound a bit forced/unnatural, and that's because I'm not a native English speaker (I've been learning it since I was a kid though ).
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Hideyoshi; 06-02-2018 at 05:59 PM.