Found an Arisakaicon bayonet at a flea market today. It is a bit unusual and I can't make heads or tails of it.

I have some photos of it next to a standard training bayonet. As you can see, this is short. The blade is 13 inches instead of the normal 15 inches. It has not been shortened. The fuller ends proportionally to the end of the blade. The blade is sharpened part way as is normal for regular Type 30 bayonets. There are no markings on the blade that I can see. The metal has black paint on it. The top center of the hilt is well marked with what appears to be a circle, a series mark, a second series mark, a three digit number and an unusual three lobed mark. The quillion is also of an unusual shape. I've check Japanese, Chinese and Korean variations with no luck. It does have the "look" of a trainer aside from the blade being sharpened, short and heavily marked although not in the normal location. The blade is slightly narrower than the training blade but quite a bit thicker. The scabbard is welded at the top holding the loop and the bottom looks welded also. This could be a shortened scabbard. It does fit a Type 99 rifle although the muzzle ring seems looser than normal.

It is too long to be a paratrooper bayonet. Suggested possibility by another individual is that is was made for a machine gun. I've found little information on that but it appears they took the standard Type 30 bayonet also.

Any help would be appreciated.

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.