I'm looking at a M1922 opportunity but not sure what I haave or what a fair price offer would be.
The receiver which has a nice polished but grey/plum tint, is marked U.S./SPRINGFIELD/ARMORY/CAL. .22 M2/11041. There is a spmped "6" on the lug extension. The left bolt channel is a darker blue which I take to mean this receiver has been reblued (perhaps poorly by it appearance). The rear sight is not marked Lyman but has a peep bullseye with a running deer.

The bolts front section is marked M2 and C 3998. The bolt handle flat is marked NS/M2. The bolt is in the white and is electropenciled front and rear with 19036, a mismatch. The bolt has adjustable headspacing.

The stock is in excellent condition with a checkered blued buttplate with no access door. There are no rebuild markings on the stock and no proof "P" (don't know if that was common for M2s). The stock has a shallow grip extension and finger grooves.

The barrel has a few blued corrosion pits and is a finish suggesting to me that its been polished a reblued. I understand all original M2s were parkerized. The mfg date on the barrel is SA/(arm bmb)/12-41. A Lyman hooded "peep style" front sight cover has been added. Strangely, near the receiver and on the left side of the barrel is "long rofle/cart'ge only" except it appears to be stamped upside down (i.e. reads in same direction as the marking on the receiver).

Other markings include the no. "55" stamped on the flat of the safety flat...poorly done. The magazine is marked M2 but I had to pry it out of the mag well with my third hand while using the other two to press the danged ejection button.

That's about all I can describe. I would appreciate any explanation of what the anomalies might mean and a fair offer to make for it. Based on what I've read, this may be a simple parts build-up rifle and not a great example for a collection??

Thanks for any help. Darryl
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.