Hybrid View

Last On
    Yesterday @ 03:43 PM
    Local Date
    04-16-2024
    Local Time
    01:07 AM

Project in the works

Picked up this Canadianicon marked M1917 complete action along with a sporter barreled action with full barrel to use.

Receivers date of manufacture is sept.1918.
    I assume its correct to mate this 8-18 barrel?

On the hunt for wood and stock metal bits, any help where to find some is greatly appreciated!

Jon

Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    02-07-2022 @ 09:20 PM
    Local Date
    04-15-2024
    Local Time
    09:07 PM
    Some caveats and some questions if you don't mind.
    Taking a barrel OFF a receiver unless you have the right tools can crack the donor receiver. Are you dong the work yourself of a Smith.

Is the donor receiver in that bad a shape? Has the barrel been checked with a MW or TE gauge? Is the sporter receiver not an Eddystone and or the barrel does not match?

A stock is a big issue cost wise? Those run $300 or more. Easier to buy a gun than a good stock (then you have another barreled action but.....)

If you want to assemble a rifle that is fairly close to authentic, it will work.

The rifle SN numbers and barrel dates tended to be more like 2-3 months separated (barrel sooner mfg)

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    Local Date
    04-16-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    Some caveats and some questions if you don't mind.
    Taking a barrel OFF a receiver unless you have the right tools can crack the donor receiver. Are you dong the work yourself of a Smith.

Is the donor receiver in that bad a shape? Has the barrel been checked with a MW or TE gauge? Is the sporter receiver not an Eddystone and or the barrel does not match?

A stock is a big issue cost wise? Those run $300 or more. Easier to buy a gun than a good stock (then you have another barreled action but.....)

If you want to assemble a rifle that is fairly close to authentic, it will work.

The rifle SN numbers and barrel dates tended to be more like 2-3 months separated (barrel sooner mfg)
    Hey RC,

I am doing the work myself. But having built, restored and tuned up many many... (pushing 100) m14's, M1icon's, mauser 98's, enfield no.1 and 4's I feel I have the tools and experience to take this one on.
    It is my first 1917 in the shop though and I will admit, after having already tried a couple tried and trued methods to no avail, she is a challenge.
    So far I have tried techniques that require no alterations to the barrel shoulders or receiver rings.
    Next I think I will cut a relief slot in the barrel shoulder. If this works I am ok with cutting back the shoulder and making a breeching up washer. Not ideal, but will work, and save both barrel and receiver.

The receiver it sits on has had the ears milled off but no scope mount holes drilled...? It is not an Eddystone either.
    The barrel is actually like new, I think it must have been a NOS one when installed on this receiver.
    I assuming it was never fired given the lack of sights.

Stocks so far are non existent, but a new manufactured one would be too bad for this build.

I'll keep my progress posted!

Jon

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    04-15-2024
    Local Time
    11:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jonh172 View Post
    The receiver it sits on has had the ears milled off but no scope mount holes drilled

Quote Originally Posted by jonh172 View Post
    A standard method to fit barrels on no.1s and 4s is to cut back the shoulder and fit a breeching up washer. If I need to do a relief cut, at least a breeching up washer is an acceptable practice.
    If you remove a barrel and want to save the action, you relieve the barrel.

If trying to save the barrel then relieve the action. Then unscrew by hand.

If the barrel is too far out of clock to go on the new action, just shave it a touch...breeching washers to me are a last resort or last ditch.
    Regards, Jim

Last On
    06-24-2023 @ 02:44 PM
    Local Date
    04-16-2024
    Local Time
    02:07 AM
    I had the pleasure of removing 3 chrome plated CMPicon barrels from drill rifles....I soaked the receiver with the barrel pointing up for 4 days with kroil oil....And 4 days with the barrel facing down....I then hit the CMP action wrench with a 4 lb dead blow hammer....Got lucky with all three....Upon removal all 3 barrel threads were completely wet....If your receiver is service able I would be interested in purchasing it....regards....alex

Last On
    Local Date
    04-16-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by techkya View Post
    I had the pleasure of removing 3 chrome plated CMPicon barrels from drill rifles....I soaked the receiver with the barrel pointing up for 4 days with kroil oil....And 4 days with the barrel facing down....I then hit the CMP action wrench with a 4 lb dead blow hammer....Got lucky with all three....Upon removal all 3 barrel threads were completely wet....If your receiver is service able I would be interested in purchasing it....regards....alex
    Hi Alex,

I have it soaking in kroil currently and will acquire some Rosen to really get some grip on the barrel and the big hammer will be used!

The action is currently serviceable but the sight ears were milled off. Still interested?
    On my mobile device I cant see user locations, are you in the US?

Jon

Last On
    05-25-2023 @ 09:54 AM
    Real Name
    Henry
    Local Date
    04-16-2024
    Local Time
    I may have an NOS stock potentially coming soon and a nifty Parker Hale machine on sight (surplus to requirements) that is a windage base added to the No4 singer sight - marked for elevation for 7.62x51mm - runs close to the 30-06 marks that you may seek.

Last On
    Local Date
    04-16-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 breakdown View Post
    I may have an NOS stock potentially coming soon and a nifty Parker Hale machine on sight (surplus to requirements) that is a windage base added to the No4 singer sight - marked for elevation for 7.62x51mm - runs close to the 30-06 marks that you may seek.
    Yes, very interesting!
    PM sent with email info.

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Flat View Post
    Jon, That barrel is worth 150-200 bucks. A relief cut barrel is worth maybe 25. I would suggest a bigger barrel vise and a longer action wrench handle if you have to. Save that barrel-- Also check both receivers for cracks which usually occur at the front surface where the barrel shoulder mates to it. Have fun! Salt Flat
    I will do everything I can!

The collector value on this thing will be pretty low with or without the reief cut.
    A standard method to fit barrels on no.1s and 4s is to cut back the shoulder and fit a breeching up washer. If I need to do a relief cut, at least a breeching up washer is an acceptable practice.
    This barrel should be mated to this action for the remainder of its life so resale of barrel alone isnt much concern to me.

But again, only as a last resort!

Last On
    Yesterday @ 08:32 PM
    Local Date
    04-15-2024
    Local Time
    11:07 PM
    Jon, That barrel is worth 150-200 bucks. A relief cut barrel is worth maybe 25. I would suggest a bigger barrel vise and a longer action wrench handle if you have to. Save that barrel-- Also check both receivers for cracks which usually occur at the front surface where the barrel shoulder mates to it. Have fun! Salt Flat

Last On
    06-24-2023 @ 02:44 PM
    Local Date
    04-16-2024
    Local Time
    Hi Jon, Yes I am in Pa....My ffl dealer is in Jonestown pa...I am thinking a dead blow hammer is the best....Harbor freight has them on sale for $12.00.....Milled ears are good....If it is cheap it is for me.....Good luck with your project....regards....alex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast