Hi all,

I have a quick little project to share in relation to old style 1/2" sling swivel studs.
These were seen on early Winchester Super Grade rifles as well as a smattering of others. I gather at one time, they were quite popular. These days, everything readily available is 1/4" wide and original Winchester swivels are faint-worthy expensive.

I needed a set for my beautiful sporterized Kragicon seen here: https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=64716

After extensive Googling, I found something similar. They are quick detatch swivels for certain Mausers. Here's a link to Liberty Tree (I did not purchase from them): https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...7&idcategory=0

Here we go!

I started with two of the swivels, the front stud from my rifle, and some 10/32 cap screws:
Attachment 95304

For starters, the existing pin in the swivel is too thick to fit with my studs and the length is unappealing to me. I want to cut this down to look more like the Winchester swivels.
Attachment 95305

I chuck the cap screw into the lathe and cut all but about .10" of the threads away. The diameter of the shaft is now about .150".
Attachment 95306

And fits beautifully in my stud:
Attachment 95307

Now I mark for the new pin location and put it in the mill. I just chose a pin location that "looked right." Not much measuring required.
Always center drill first!
Attachment 95308

Because I used a 10-32 and cut the threads off, I only needed one drill. I tapped one side for the pin and left the other threadless. Then I cut off the excess from the original sling swivel.
Attachment 95309

Cut off the ends of the cap screw:
Attachment 95310

And shape and polish:
Attachment 95311

I need to cut a bit more off the length for stock clearance. This is where I stopped because -heavy sigh- I can't recall the width of the sling I bought and it may not fit in this swivel

But a fun project nevertheless to waste a bit of time
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.