Hybrid View

Last On
    07-12-2022 @ 03:38 PM
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    11:20 AM

G24T

I have no idea what kind of Mauser I have here. I think it may have been bubba'd a bit?(the shoulder pad) Obviously, it's a Gew 24T. It has matching numbers on the stock barrel channel and on the chamber. I think it's an 8mm, but I'll have to let those in the know and the photographs tell the story. I'd be curious of your opinion on that patch by the buttstock. Thinking this may have been where a strap went through? Took me most of the day, but I've got it pretty well cleaned up. Whoever owned it previously stained the stock a hideous dark maroon. Imagine my surprise when I uncovered it's original color. Beautiful. There was some surface rust on it, but it's looking good now after I spent several hours going through it. Another question I have is the barrel. It looks like it's been necked down or something.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    04-10-2024 @ 01:51 PM
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    10:20 AM
    The rifle is in 8x57mm , 7.92 . That is a normal stepped military barrel . A total matching 24 t is rare , to bad they chopped the stock and lost the hardware . The rifle was the first step by the Germans in WWII in the conversion of the Czechicon's VZ-24 rifle production into their standard K98kicon rifle .

3. Thank You to bob q For This Useful Post:

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    10-01-2023 @ 12:52 AM
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    Well,"bob q" is right. This is a shame and a butcher of a rare early Czechicon rifle. Too bad doesn't begin to say it. A shame to ruin a rather rare rifle.

Last On
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    Just a couple more of it, this time assembled. Could you explain what had been altered on the stock? Looks like probably a metal heel, and I suspect, a strap ran through the buttstock. What I don't see are any swivels or bayonet lugs. Has the stock itself been cut down? Where could I find a reference stock to look at? The one's I've been checking on-line look different than what I have, from the forestock cap to the disk at the buttstock.
    Thanks for the replies to date btw.

Last On
    04-10-2024 @ 01:51 PM
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    That is what is meant by a chopped stock , cut off . The front 10 inches or so of the stock is gone . The bayonet mount is gone . The middle band is gone . The hand guard is gone . The butt stock sling hole is filled . The butt plate is gone . I guess I will have to upgrade it to really ,really , really too bad .

Last On
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    Yup. Found a link a short while ago that was useful.
    http://surplused.com/wp-content/uplo...ight-side1.png

Last On
    10-01-2023 @ 12:52 AM
    Local Date
    04-19-2024
    Local Time
    This will be a very tough re-build. Look at ebay for parts. Springfield Sporters likely can help, but Russell isn't up and running. You can use VZ-24 barrel bands and butt plate and wood. But correct wood will be a toughy. Sorry.

+ Reply to Thread