+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Need Advice - Build or Buy a 1941A1?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    Contributing Member Defender3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    10-16-2018 @ 02:13 PM
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    56
    Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    04:32 AM

    Need Advice - Build or Buy a 1941A1?

    I was an RSO at a Vintage Sniper Rifle "Match" at Quantico last weekend. There were a number of nice rifles on the line, including a Swissicon M96, 1903A4s and 1941A1s. The Precision Weapons Section folks even came out and brought a number of M40A1s from the vaults!

    I don't really want to shoot my A4 w/M73B1 and thought a 1941A1 reproduction would be a better choice, especially since my old eyes would really like that 8x on the Unertl versus the 2.5 on the M73B1.

    So, anyone have an experience trying to build a 1941A1 or should I just look for one to purchase. My concern is the time to find the right rifle and parts, and then finding the right gunsmith to do the build versus buying a solid build.

    TIA.

    P.S. Had the honor of meeting Major Ed "Jim" Land, the Father of the USMC Scout Sniper program. He came out and was calling wind and spotting! He's the good looking one in the black hat.

    Don't blame me - I voted for Palin.

    "Every Airfield should be a stronghold of fighting
    air-groundmen, and not the abode of uniformed
    civilians in the prime of life protected by
    detachments of soldiers." Winston Churchill.

  2. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to Defender3 For This Useful Post:


  3. # ADS
    Friends and Sponsors
    Join Date
    October 2006
    Location
    Milsurps.Com
    Posts
    All Threads
    No Drill-Tap scope mounts for Mosin Nagant, Mauser K98K, Yugo M48, Swedish M96 and M38, Swiss K31, K11, 1911 and more! Bringing mil-surplus rifles to modern standard without damaging historical values! We specialise in military utensils and artefacts such as helmets, daggers, medals and badges, etc.  The on-line store is intended for personal browsing and searching of collecting objects. All items are provided historical value only and can be used for home collection or other purposes except of fascism, Nazism or other extremism manifestation or its propaganda. LIMITED TIME OFFER FROM THE AMERICAN GUNSMITHING INSTITUTE: Get Immediate Online Access To AGI's NEW Armorer's Course for Glock Pistols, Covering Every Generation of Glocks, Including the Latest Model 42/43 and Double Stack Pistols for ONLY $7.00! Brian Dick ... BDL Ltd. - Specializing in British and Commonwealth weapons Chuck in Denver ... Buy-Sell-Trade .. Guns, Cars Motorcycles Service Publications - Collectors books that earn their place in your library! Your source for the finest in High Power Competition Gear. Here at T-bones Shipwrighting we specialise in vintage service rifle: re-barrelling, bedding, repairs, modifications and accurizing. We also provide importation services for firearms, parts and weapons, for both private or commercial businesses.
     

  4. #2
    Contributing Member CINDERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last On
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Location
    Southern Corner Western Australia
    Posts
    5,361
    Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    04:32 PM
    Real Name
    CINDERS
    Was not Major Land Carlos Hathcocks C.O in NVN

  5. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
  6. #3
    Senior Member Col. Colt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    10-16-2018 @ 01:04 AM
    Posts
    157
    Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    12:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender3 View Post
    I was an RSO at a Vintage Sniper Rifle "Match" at Quantico last weekend. There were a number of nice rifles on the line, including a Swissicon M96, 1903A4s and 1941A1s. The Precision Weapons Section folks even came out and brought a number of M40A1s from the vaults!

    I don't really want to shoot my A4 w/M73B1 and thought a 1941A1 reproduction would be a better choice, especially since my old eyes would really like that 8x on the Unertl versus the 2.5 on the M73B1.

    So, anyone have an experience trying to build a 1941A1 or should I just look for one to purchase. My concern is the time to find the right rifle and parts, and then finding the right gunsmith to do the build versus buying a solid build.

    TIA.

    P.S. Had the honor of meeting Major Ed "Jim" Land, the Father of the USMC Scout Sniper program. He came out and was calling wind and spotting! He's the good looking one in the black hat.

    https://www.milsurps.com/images/impo...PG688415-1.jpg
    I am close to finishing my "M1941" USMC build - and I built mine from original period correct parts - took a while (2 years) to gather. Started with an original Springfield 1939 "C" Stock cut for Unertl mounts long ago. I know that Chuck in Denver has built many Springfield Snipers, and you might want to talk to him in making your decision. And I understand CMPicon's custom shop can do this also - but not cheap.

    You can probably build a better shooting rifle by NOT using, say, an original barrel in favor of a Krieger or Criterion, squaring the action and starting with new wood and bedding it correctly for barrel pressure. Most agree that you need Steve Earl scope blocks, and either an original 8X Unertl or a massaged Leatherwood/HiLux USMC scope.

    I enjoyed putting mine together (only need to drill and tap the original Unertl O&E mounts onto the rifle and buy a scope, now! And it sure "looks the part". But you could have one built and be up and shooting quicker buying it from a professional shop. So, how soon do you want to shoot it ? CC

    PS - Congrats on meeting Mr. Land - a real live figure from History - who lead some incredibly brave men. CC
    Last edited by Col. Colt; 10-01-2018 at 11:22 PM.

  7. #4
    Contributing Member Defender3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    10-16-2018 @ 02:13 PM
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    56
    Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    04:32 AM
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by CINDERS View Post
    Was not Major Land Carlos Hathcocks C.O in NVN
    I believe you are correct.
    Last edited by Defender3; 10-02-2018 at 06:11 AM.
    Don't blame me - I voted for Palin.

    "Every Airfield should be a stronghold of fighting
    air-groundmen, and not the abode of uniformed
    civilians in the prime of life protected by
    detachments of soldiers." Winston Churchill.

  8. #5
    Contributing Member Defender3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    10-16-2018 @ 02:13 PM
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    56
    Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    04:32 AM
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
    I am close to finishing my "M1941" USMC build - and I built mine from original period correct parts - took a while (2 years) to gather. Started with an original Springfield 1939 "C" Stock cut for Unertl mounts long ago. I know that Chuck in Denver has built many Springfield Snipers, and you might want to talk to him in making your decision. And I understand CMPicon's custom shop can do this also - but not cheap.

    You can probably build a better shooting rifle by NOT using, say, an original barrel in favor of a Krieger or Criterion, squaring the action and starting with new wood and bedding it correctly for barrel pressure. Most agree that you need Steve Earl scope blocks, and either an original 8X Unertl or a massaged Leatherwood/HiLux USMC scope.

    I enjoyed putting mine together (only need to drill and tap the original Unertl O&E mounts onto the rifle and buy a scope, now! And it sure "looks the part". But you could have one built and be up and shooting quicker buying it from a professional shop. So, how soon do you want to shoot it ? CC

    PS - Congrats on meeting Mr. Land - a real live figure from History - who lead some incredibly brave men. CC
    Thanks for the first-hand advice. I think I'll go repro after seeing a Unertl on GB for $4600! My M73B1 was less expensive, but I'm not sure I want to be carting either around when a repro fits the bill. I had considered giving Chuck a call as he is certainly one person I'd trust to do a great job putting one together.

    Thanks again, oh, and I'd like to be on the line soon!
    Don't blame me - I voted for Palin.

    "Every Airfield should be a stronghold of fighting
    air-groundmen, and not the abode of uniformed
    civilians in the prime of life protected by
    detachments of soldiers." Winston Churchill.

  9. #6
    Really Senior Member Randy A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 12:00 AM
    Posts
    229
    Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    02:32 AM
    Sported 1903 actions are cheap and plentiful, round up your parts and have Chuck do what work you need. Its enjoyable, you know what you have, you know that the work was done with care, it's something to be proud of and more enjoyable.
    On another note, have you tried a K2.5 on the A4..... might like it compared to the 330?

  10. #7
    Contributing Member Defender3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    10-16-2018 @ 02:13 PM
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    56
    Local Date
    10-20-2018
    Local Time
    04:32 AM
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy A View Post
    Sported 1903 actions are cheap and plentiful, round up your parts and have Chuck do what work you need. Its enjoyable, you know what you have, you know that the work was done with care, it's something to be proud of and more enjoyable.
    On another note, have you tried a K2.5 on the A4..... might like it compared to the 330?
    Good point. I spoke with Chuck yesterday and have a plan.

    The issue for me is simply being older with older eyes. An 8x would be preferable so I could reduce an shooter induced errors in hold.


+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. 1st build!!
    By tahoe2 in forum Mauser Rifles
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-01-2014, 03:04 AM
  2. AR Build
    By garrettbragg12 in forum M16A2/AR15A2 Rifles
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-16-2014, 11:43 PM
  3. N04 (T) build up
    By Gunnie in forum The Lee Enfield Knowledge Library Collectors Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 06:47 AM
  4. 1941A1 sniper reproduction scope questions
    By Calfed in forum M1903/1903A3/A4 Springfield Rifle
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-23-2012, 11:40 PM
  5. M-1 Build
    By Floyd Rehkopf in forum M1 Garand/M14/M1A Rifles
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-03-2010, 06:56 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts