Hi everyone ,

This is my first post here as I just found this forum by happenstance while trying to figure out the difference between an 870 Wingmaster and an M870.

I recently bought from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore a neat shotgun. At first I was just buying it to be a knock about farm gun, but now I am wondering if it that would be a silly thing to do.

The shotgun is in great shape, is richly blued with a nice glossy finish, has ONG inside the outline of Ohio and Remington Wingmaster on the left side, a factory Remington "Law Enforcment Only" marked top folding, stock wtih a sling swivel on the left side, a M870 bayonet mount that is blued with the bead on top.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/210182

Supposedly these were replaced with the M26 shotguns. I found a video of the 838th MP Co from 2018 of them in Serbia conducting training.

From what I can find online it seems the Ohio National Guard transferred these 870s to the Ohio Department of Corrections, who in turn offered them up for sale to officers for $190, then the rest went to the store above. Apparently there were 1286 transferred in total. With roughly 400 folding stock variants and 800 fixed stock variants. My serial number indicates 1972 date of manufacture.

Additional internet surfing shows pictures with ONG patrolling New Orleans with these shotguns after Hurricane Katrina, during the Lucasville prison riots in 1993.

My questions are;

Is this a M870 or just an 870?

Did any of these go to Kosovo/Bosnia, Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom?

Are these a military collectible?

What would these be worth? Certainly they are nicer than $239. The action is buttery smooth, finish is 95%. I kind of don't want to mess it up with it bouncing around in my jeep, tractors, and 4wheeler.

Some people posted pictures with tape on there guns with 838 MP Co and some with sharpie painted rack numbers. Some has metallic Ohio Adjutant General inventory stickers if that makes a difference.

Anyway I look forward to hearing from those me experienced in these than I am.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.