Hybrid View

Last On
    Yesterday @ 04:03 AM
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    02:05 AM

*****PICTURES UP NOW*****NEED HELP WITH WINCHESTER P14 PURCHASE

I have the opportunity to purchase a Winchester P14. It looks to be in very, very nice shape. Bolt and rear sight match. Bore is supposed to be pristine. It retains the rear volley sight but no pointer on the front volley sight. I was told this has not been through a Weedon refurb. It retains the brass stock disk...from the picture that I can make out the disk has a I and then below the letters A S C...below the disk screw there is the #25. I asked the seller if there were any stampings on the butt stock.....apparently not. Were all P14 stocks on Winchester rifles stamped.....I'm wondering if this is a replacement stock. Were replacement barrels in a Weedon refurb stamped with the serial # of the rifle on the barrel or were they left absent of the rifle serial #? I will ask seller to see if barrel face has the circular milled area that was a definite sign that the rifle is a Weedon refurb.
    It comes with a bayonet and scabbard. Bayonet is marked 1913 and below that IC W 16.
    Sorry my knowledge is very limited regarding P14's and this is supposed to be a quick deal so seller can free up funds for another purchase, hence no time for me to do my homework. Price is $1000 Can.
    If I only knew how to post pictures............
    Thanks guys for the input.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by bros; 11-08-2018 at 02:15 AM. Reason: added pictures

Last On
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Real Name
    Bill
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    04:05 AM
    Well the bayonet is Winchester and manufactured in 1916.

The typical Weedon referb marking is a * (daisy) stamped on the receiver ring, bolt handle, extractor and stock. Some have a reused bolt with the original serial number ground off underneath and force matched on top. Some had new bolts installed with the serial number in the proper location. All will have the barrel face milled unless the barrel was changed at the time of the refurb. I can't recall ever seeing a serial number on a P14 barrel. It is unlikely that it would still have the rear volley sight but that could have easily been replaced and the front volley sight pointer would have been removed as would the stock disc and it would have been replaced with a wood plug.
    The only way to truly check the barrel is to remove the hand guards and look for the date stamped on the left side of the chamber. It will be just a year like '16 buried among may other stamps. The stock should have IW over 1914 in an oval with the broad arrow at the top next to the stock disk. A MkI will be near the maker stamp on the stock if it was a post 12/16 build. A Weedon daisy stamp will also be in this area if that was done. There should have various inspectors stamps above and below the wrist of the stock.
    If it is all matching there should be a W on the front sight base, barrel bands, stacking and sling swivels and all other small parts inside or outside.
    If it was made after December 1916 it would have had the larger bolt lug update built into it and wouldn't have gone through the Weedon process. Barrel date and serial number would be the best indicator of when it was made.
    The price seems a little high but if it is a pre 12/16 build and escaped a Weedon referb and is in top condition it may be worth it. I hope this helps. - Bill

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    09-27-2022 @ 11:12 PM
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    03:05 AM
    Bros: All original stocks were certainly given the distinctive (but rather light) stampings on the rear butt. Original barrels were given serial #'s and not all Weedon type refits had new barrels installed. The Weedon standard rifles I've had only indicated the refit with a stamp in the wood just behind the triggerguard. My understanding is that the "*" on receiver, etc, simply reflect manufacture as or upgrade to Mk I* standard. My two P14's that have not been through a Weedon refit both have these asterisks. It wold be a good idea to post some photos of this rifle, if you can. $1000 (Can) would be an OK price for a truly original rifle.

Ridolpho

Last On
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Real Name
    Bill
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    04:05 AM
    All the rifles I've seen that were truly "all original and untouched" have a fairly good and deep manufacturer stamping. The MkI stamps tend to be light and disappear with sanding and just leave the asterisk behind. Most like mine that had a refurb have had the stock sanded and refinished which reduces the depth of the stamps.

My Weedon refurb Remington has the daisy stamp on the receiver ring, bolt handle, extractor and the stock next to the manufacturer's stamp. The bolt serial number is force matched and stamped on the top. You can see underneath where the original number was ground and reblued.
    Don't confuse the sold out of service double broad arrow on the receiver ring for a Weedon stamp. They look somewhat similar but are different.

If your rifle only had the asterisk on the butt that would be following the MkI* stamp that should be there for all rifles that came out of the factory with the larger bolt lug or they weren't original to the rifle. Those rifles didn't need the Weedon treatment as they were already up to spec when made. Only rifles built prior to 12/16 needed the change over. They continued to build the P14 until April of 1917 so there plenty of factory original MkI*'s out there.

Last On
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    Thanks to oldfoneguy and Ridolpho I'm being educated!!!!!

Last On
    03-25-2024 @ 05:18 PM
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    05:05 AM
    Stocks are marked on the very end with an E, R, or W. There are distinct differences in contour too between manufacturers.

Last On
    10-29-2023 @ 04:38 AM
    Real Name
    Franklin Ruple
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    05:05 AM
    bros--

Given your description of your Winchester P14 rifle appears to have escaped the Weedon Repair Standard. The upgrade would have been removal of the piling swivel and screw, the front volley sight with the volley sight being ground flush with the stock. The arm to the rear volley sight was removed. Additionally the the brass id disk was removed from the stock and plugged with a wooden disk. From what I understand, rifles with bad stock had those replaced with new made stocks or one removed from rifles that were disassembled for parts. As far I was can tell none of the MKI were upgraded to MKI* the parts were just not available. Many of the P14 MKI were "EY" due to the lack of the modified bolt lugs. The bolt lug modification to MKI* from what I understand was for feeding problems with the .303 round and not a weak bolt that would cut loose on you. I have not found any documentation in either case. As far as conversion to the MKI* that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Remington and Eddystone appears to have converted rather quickly with Winchester dragging their feet to much later due to cost of the tooling and contract changes. Spare parts for the P14 was a problem for the Brits. Who had to cannibalize rifles for spare parts. As far I can tell no new barrels were made for the P14 in the Weedon process. The Brits had to convert M1917 firing pins to get an adequate supply for their P14s.
    Please post some pictures of your rifle and we can get a better idea of its value. The Winchester P14 gets a 30% premium over the other two manufacturers and if it is an orginial MKI with the bolt and barrel modifications of the MKI* the rfile can be worth even more.
    Cheers

--fjruple

Last On
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    Thanks to all who have helped me in the quest for some insight into the P14. As mentioned earlier this rifle is not owned by me "yet", the seller lives about 6000km from me so there is no way to view it in the "flesh". The pictures I received are rather poor quality, I will try to get the seller to send me some additional pictures of better quality and then with some help I will try to post them here. In the meantime I will try to gain some additional info about the rifle in question......helped by those who replied to this thread.
    Thanks to all so far.......stay tuned!!!!

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    OK, so here are the pics...lots of them.
    Regards, Jim

11. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to browningautorifle For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Local Date
    03-28-2024
    Local Time
    Ok......first and foremost a big thanks to "browningautorifleicon" for posting the pictures.......what would I do without you???

Hopefully the pictures will give some insight into evaluating this particular Win P14 for me. I asked the seller if the end of the forestock by the bayonet lug was "W" stamped......he indicated there was some kind of stamp but didn't think it was a "W".....he thought maybe a " 4". My first recently acquired ERA P14 is stamped "41" in that same spot.
    Rear sight as previously mentioned is matching numbers and bore is supposed to be excellent. I was told this was not re-furbed by Weedon.
    Big question is.....is it worth the $1000 Can????
    Thanks again all!!!

13. Thank You to bros For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast