Advisory Panel
    Last On
    @
    Local Date
    04-24-2024
    Local Time
    11:39 AM

Tips Needed For Removing Dents

Can anyone share tips on pulling wood dents?
    I'm often asked for tips but I rarely take this on.
    The few times I have I'd poke a few fine holes with a needle point then use a eye dropper with warm water and a little Dawn dish soap. I'd try to keep the area damp for a couple days, then use a damp rag and soldering iron tip. Results were better........ but nothing above a C+ if I'm grading myself on a Curve

I've got some really beat up stocks I've kept around to use as patch wood.
    Been curious about trying a steam box....... But how do you keep it from warping?
    Even tossed around the idea of a Recoil plate spot welded to a blank of steel with a pipe attached to mimic a barreled receiver.

Antique Furniture guy in town has a big tea pot type kettle he's put together that has a PVC pipe running up at about 2 'o clock from the spout. The spout is coupled to the bottom of the PVC pipe with a Y shaped black rubber hose. The top end of the PVC has a threaded cap on it with a few vent holes drilled in it. Next to the 'Tea Kettle' is a bucket to catch the back dripping steam/water that feeds down one end of that inverted Y shaped rubber hose. He uses it for misc chair legs, decorative mouldings.. etc.
    I took a dented up Inland stock to show him and he felt strongly he could raise the dents by approx 75% Without harming the Crossed Cannons Stamp.
    He's a Pro I'll give him that...... Though I still have a hard time believing that method wouldn't affect the CC Stamp.
    This particular stock doesn't really have any $Dollar value.... so I was tempted to have him try it until he told me it would run about a $100.
    So right now I'm contemplating making a smaller version for a Hand guard that I could use in the basement for now because it's to darn cold out in the garage work shop.

When I asked him about a dent right in the middle of a desk top he said he'd poke very small pin holes and then use a Hypodermic needle to inject all it would take. He wouldn't tell me what 'ALL' was. But as the mystery liquid penetrates farther along in time this will allow it to take more in as time passed. Then using a small heat pad or heat gun in intervals he could get it to raise....... sometimes raised above the surrounding surface.

Anyone have any methods or thoughts to share?

Thx
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Charlie-Painter777

A Country Has No Greater Responsibility Than To Care For Those Who Served...

2. Thank You to painter777 For This Useful Post: