Milsurps Talk Radio
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How much does scope holes affect value on no4 mk1

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    Member 59fordboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last On
    05-20-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Location
    Calhoun, GA
    Posts
    7
    Local Date
    07-17-2019
    Local Time
    10:26 PM

    How much does scope holes affect value on no4 mk1

    I have a1942 Long Branch no4 mk1* SN 7L6637 I picked it up in a trade so I donít have much in it. The problem areas are 1) the metal finish has been completely buffed off 2) the stock has been finished in tru oil 3) some numbskull drills the receiver for a scope mount. Although it does look good, I know itís not period correct. The one saving grace is the bore is beautiful, bright and shiny. Just curious how much all the above things mess with the value. Iím new to forum so I will attempt to attach pictures
    Last edited by 59fordboy; 03-18-2019 at 01:35 PM.

  2. # ADS
    Friends and Sponsors
    Join Date
    October 2006
    Location
    Milsurps.Com
    Posts
    All Threads
    Banner AD Space Available - Click HERE to Inquire We specialise in military utensils and artefacts such as helmets, daggers, medals and badges, etc.  The on-line store is intended for personal browsing and searching of collecting objects. All items are provided historical value only and can be used for home collection or other purposes except of fascism, Nazism or other extremism manifestation or its propaganda. LIMITED TIME OFFER FROM THE AMERICAN GUNSMITHING INSTITUTE: Get Immediate Online Access To AGI's NEW Armorer's Course for Glock Pistols, Covering Every Generation of Glocks, Including the Latest Model 42/43 and Double Stack Pistols for ONLY $7.00! Brian Dick ... BDL Ltd. - Specializing in British and Commonwealth weapons Chuck in Denver ... Buy-Sell-Trade .. Guns, Cars Motorcycles We pride ourselves on being the new lowest price listing service, and the simplest to use. If you need to buy or sell collectible firearms or any firearm in your legal possession, then this is the place for you. If youíre a big collector clearing house, or other seller that could benefit from a Premium seller account, then we can also support you here at Gunonline.com. Your source for the finest in High Power Competition Gear. Here at T-bones Shipwrighting we specialise in vintage service rifle: re-barrelling, bedding, repairs, modifications and accurizing. We also provide importation services for firearms, parts and weapons, for both private or commercial businesses.
     

  3. #2
    Member 59fordboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last On
    05-20-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Location
    Calhoun, GA
    Posts
    7
    Local Date
    07-17-2019
    Local Time
    10:26 PM
    Thread Starter
    I have attached some pictures of the NO4 Mk1* thanks for any replies.

    [ATTACH]99435[ATTACH][ATTACH]no4 mk1.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]/ATTACH]
    Attached Images

  4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
  5. #3
    Contributing Member bros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last On
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Location
    yukon
    Posts
    193
    Local Date
    07-17-2019
    Local Time
    07:26 PM
    To a collector I think the interest would be minimal to 0. It is a 1942 Longbranch and they are not that easy to find, but that being said the interest would would more likely come from someone that is purely looking for a good shooter. Does the bolt match? Not to sure on the US prices but if that was in Canadaicon and was un-molested in nice condition it would probably go for $950 being a 1942. The way it sits now maybe $550 if bolt matched.

  6. #4
    Member 59fordboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last On
    05-20-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Location
    Calhoun, GA
    Posts
    7
    Local Date
    07-17-2019
    Local Time
    10:26 PM
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by bros View Post
    To a collector I think the interest would be minimal to 0. It is a 1942 Longbranch and they are not that easy to find, but that being said the interest would would more likely come from someone that is purely looking for a good shooter. Does the bolt match? Not to sure on the US prices but if that was in Canadaicon and was un-molested in nice condition it would probably go for $950 being a 1942. The way it sits now maybe $550 if bolt matched.
    The bolt, receiver and lower stock numbers match

    ---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by 59fordboy View Post
    The bolt, receiver and lower stock numbers match
    It is also stamped NZ 2970 which I understand is New Zealandicon is that correct?

  7. #5
    Really Senior Member Salt Flat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last On
    Today @ 08:36 PM
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    565
    Local Date
    07-17-2019
    Local Time
    07:26 PM
    59Ford-- Not bad, It just needs a little help. Holes can be plugged and shiny finish stripped off and BLOicon applied. Not sure about the NZicon but if it is it might help the value. It has a nice milled rear sight. All in all not bad. Sure, it might not be a high dollar rifle but still a nice rifle. Salt Flat

  8. #6
    Member 59fordboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last On
    05-20-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Location
    Calhoun, GA
    Posts
    7
    Local Date
    07-17-2019
    Local Time
    10:26 PM
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Salt Flat View Post
    59Ford-- Not bad, It just needs a little help. Holes can be plugged and shiny finish stripped off and BLOicon applied. Not sure about the NZicon but if it is it might help the value. It has a nice milled rear sight. All in all not bad. Sure, it might not be a high dollar rifle but still a nice rifle. Salt Flat
    Thanks Salt Flat. I researched the hole fix using a screw but if you notice itís really close to the stampings and I wouldnít want to damage them

  9. #7
    Member 59fordboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last On
    05-20-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Location
    Calhoun, GA
    Posts
    7
    Local Date
    07-17-2019
    Local Time
    10:26 PM
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by 59fordboy View Post
    Thanks Salt Flat. I researched the hole fix using a screw but if you notice itís really close to the stampings and I wouldnít want to damage them
    I donít want to get off the value subject too much but what is the metal finish supposed to be. Under the hand guard the metal is a gray color. Kind of like parkerizing but not sure. Thanks again for the replies

  10. #8
    Contributing Member #1oilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last On
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Location
    southern Ontario
    Posts
    185
    Local Date
    07-17-2019
    Local Time
    10:26 PM
    Holes can be filled, a good welder with a tig torch can do that with ease, I have done it before.

  11. #9
    Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last On
    07-15-2019 @ 11:16 PM
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    21,838
    Local Date
    07-17-2019
    Local Time
    07:26 PM
    Yes, the holes can be filled with a screw and a touch of wire feed, look at it and talk to a couple pros, you'll see. Minimum heat and minimum discoloration. I've done it too. Repaired a '94 Winchester with no discoloration spot at all. The wood can be liquid stripped and returned to oil finish, the metal can be either black parkerized or blued, depending on which you want. Problem is you can't ever sell it as your investment is far over it's value, even if you could get the $700-$900 it would bring here...

    That being said, I'd do it just to have it looking correct again. Keep it until all was forgotten and then probably let go of it for what it brings...
    Regards, Jim

  12. #10
    Member 59fordboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last On
    05-20-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Location
    Calhoun, GA
    Posts
    7
    Local Date
    07-17-2019
    Local Time
    10:26 PM
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by browningautorifleicon View Post
    Yes, the holes can be filled with a screw and a touch of wire feed, look at it and talk to a couple pros, you'll see. Minimum heat and minimum discoloration. I've done it too. Repaired a '94 Winchester with no discoloration spot at all. The wood can be liquid stripped and returned to oil finish, the metal can be either black parkerized or blued, depending on which you want. Problem is you can't ever sell it as your investment is far over it's value, even if you could get the $700-$900 it would bring here...

    That being said, I'd do it just to have it looking correct again. Keep it until all was forgotten and then probably let go of it for what it brings...
    Sorry it took me a couple days to get back to it. But I happened to find something else interesting the magazine is overstamped with the NZicon mark but underneath is the matching serial number of the rifle so itís all matching numbers. And was the hand guard for this year the smooth one or the one with the lines cut in it?


+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-26-2012, 01:25 PM
  2. Question on welding bad scope holes shut.
    By kenwest516 in forum Gunsmithing for Old Milsurps
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 04:12 AM
  3. bring back the dead...more holes...holes and holes.
    By chuckindenver in forum Pattern 1913/1914 and M1917 Rifles
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2012, 09:40 PM
  4. No4 Scope mount holes misaligned and drilled too deep?
    By jss in forum The Lee Enfield Knowledge Library Collectors Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 07:42 AM
  5. Powders affect on accuracy 30'06 168 SMK
    By Curt in forum Ammunition and Reloading for Old Milsurps
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-20-2009, 01:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts