Hey guys,

I just picked up a matching numbers (as far as I can tell) 1941 Lithgowicon. I have a few questions:

1. The previous, previous, owner removed a green paint stripe off the wrist of the stock. I've read this indicated the rifle was a cadet rifle. Is that correct? If so, would the rifle still have seen service in WWII in the Army, or did they go straight to cadet schools?

2. The magazine in this thing is very loose (and I don't think it is original to the rifle). It sounds like a tin can jangling when you pick the rifle up. The movement is side to side mostly, however there is front to back movement as well. I pulled a mag out of another one of my No1Mk3's and it locked up tight with no movement. Any advice on what to do besides buying a different mag?

3. What was the original stock finish on Lithgow Enfields? The wood on this one looks yellow and dry. It is the original stock though. Is there anything I can do to freshen it up? (I am anti-sanding, refinishing, etc.) Would pure tung oil work? These things are getting old enough that we need to maintain the wood a little bit. What would you Enfield aficionados recommend?

Thanks for your thoughts!
JakeAttachment 99596Attachment 99597Attachment 99598
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.