Hi all,

I just recently decided to take a plunge into buying a sword as I have never bought one and figured it would be a neat addition for my Swissicon collection. I ordered this sword that was advertised as a Swiss Briquet Model 1852 Short Sword from a dealer I have purchased from before and I trust so I never asked for any photos.

Now that its in my hands I am looking at it and I am not sure it is actually a Swiss 1852 Short Sword or if it is a modern copy or someone elses variant (the sword is based off of a Frenchicon XI short sword so many different countries would have variants). I am not experienced in swords at all and would like some second opinions on it. I also know swords are one of the most faked things out there and it can be very easy to get a repro instead of the real thing.

The things that are throwing red flags for me are the fact that it is slightly different in comparison to photos I have compared to online, such as different pommel portion, different scabbard mounting system, the handle appears to be a bit different in shape, some really crude filing work on part of the handguard which I don't think the Swiss would have had any part in, and there is no markings of any sort that I have been able to locate on there, and there is a glued leather portion on the handguard to prevent the sword from rubbing on the scabbard.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I don't know if I should be asking to return it at this point.

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.