I recently acquired a Smith and Wesson 1917. It is US Property marked. It's serial number is 628xx.

The Good:
It came with a leather (non standard issue) holster stamped "Service in Worlds War 1918 J.F.R." It also has "J.F. Rose" stamped elsewhere on the ammo belt.

The Bad:
The GI gave it some "hand checkered" grips with his pocket knife. Sigh.

The Ugly--(and some questions):
It is theoretically a 45ACP, however 45ACP, rounds will drop all the way through the cylinder holes. Is this normal, or has this gun been reamed to 45 Colt?

I ordered full moon clips and shot it today. However, the loaded moon clips do not go into the cylinder very smoothly. You have to push them hard to get them to seat enough to close the cylinder. Maybe an issue with the clips (from SpeedBeez)?

Also, when I shot it today it shaved a good chunk of copper off of one round. So, I realized I have some timing problems too. This gun has turned out to be a bit of a lemon. Anyone send a 1917 back to Smith and Wesson to have the timing fixed before? Or should I send it to Clark's custom guns?

Thanks
Jake
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.