Threaded View

Last On
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Local Date
    04-18-2024
    Local Time
    09:21 PM

K98k mainspring question.

I purchased a K98kicon earlyish this year and have not had any extreme problems with it, besides a little rust in the bore, which cleaned out easily. The bolt is a little stiff, which I attribute to the Mauser action. (I'm used to Enfields) When I shoot new Prvi or S&B 7.92 ammo I have no problems at all... I shot a box of each when I purchased the gun... They all shot fine, no hard primers or anything like that. Normal impact depth on primers.

I purchased several hundred cartridges of Czechoslovakian 1948 7.9 ammo... 65-70% of the time I have no problem shooting it but sometimes some require 4 strikes to go boom. When I looked at the primers of the brass that I shot, the ones that only required one strike, I see just a very small, shallow indent... Smaller than what I see on my spent Prvi or Sellier brass. I would also like to note this is Berdan, corrosive primed of course... The ammo has German WW2 style primers, (single, offset flash hole...) The primers are made of steel so they're magnetic. Some came on German stripper clips, some didn't. All came in German WW2 made cardboard paper type boxes, which I found interesting.

I have a few questions which I will put below.

1. Will it be worth my time to put in a heavier pound rated spring? I'm looking at Wolff springs...

2. Should I go heavier than the factory rate spring or should I just get a factory rated spring of normal poundage?

3. If I get a heavier spring, wouldn't it require more force turn up the bolt?
    (to unlock the bolt.)

I prefer to shoot milsurp ammo, if I can find it at a reasonable price these days. With new factory ammo I have zero problems. It could be that I have a weak spring, the primers are super hard, ammo is showing its age... Probably a combination of all those things and more.

Any advice is very much appreciated, as it always is. Thanks guys. Good day.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Fruler; 07-16-2019 at 08:34 PM.